Rig help

• 379 replies
  • 85 subscribers

Hi again

I’m currently in hospital after having a RIG fitted yesterday and I’ve never had so much pain in my life. I’m meant to be going home today but it hurts my stomach to move or walk, I’m so fed up, did anyone else suffer this much with the fitting? 

• Thanks Hazel I’ve got gaviscon which is similar I think.

No it’s not. Buscopan is an antispasmodic. Get somebody to pop out to the pharmacy for some. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • hi iam so sorry to hear how painful it is iam due in to have my rig fitted on the 7th i did not realise how painful it is iam so scared and worried so any tips would be greatly appreciated i do wish u well iam also from essex what hospital are you in for the rig?

• Hi dpanky,

I'm having my RIG fitted the day after you, as you mentioned I am worried about this too due to the fact reading Sue's experience saying she found it painful. I'm really not great with sickness and tummy pain. I hope it's not too major, please can you keep my updated as to how you feel

• Sending you gentle virtual hugs my lovely, not looking forward to mine on 8th August

• Hold on to the fact that some of us had absolutely no trouble with the tube being inserted.  Or at any time whilst I had it in.  There is always 2 sides to our experiences and maybe you will get the good side like I did. Hope it all goes well.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Thanks but hopefully you may not suffer like me as I suffer with IBS so a lot of the pain is probably down to gas. I’ve now got some Buscopan that may help although I’m still uncomfortable. Also I’ve been told that once the stitches on the buttons come off it should be easier. Sorry if I’ve put you off but I went in thinking it would be like the last 3 operations which were almost painless and it wasn’t. At least if you think the worst it will be plain sailing for you. I really all goes well and please keep me posted. Sue x

• Did you have treatment the next day after RIG fitting? The next day I have my 3rd week session of chemo and a couple of days after 1st chemo I felt a little nauseous I have been taking 10mg of Metoclopramide as prescribed which does take the edge off. I'm hoping this can still happen if the fitting can be painful etc. 

• I was very lucky having the rig fitted on Tuesday and the mask fitting on Thursday and I start RT on 8 August. Hopefully by then I’ll be more comfortable.  I really admire you having it fitted whilst undergoing treatment. I find it very uncomfortable to travel in a car at the moment as there are loads of pot holes where I live so I’m just  relaxing in the garden and not moving too much! Take care and best of lluck. Sue x

• i sure will iam dreading it as i also dont tolerate pain very well what area are you in? it would be nice to have someone in the same hospital as me to support each other as iam pretty much doing this journey alone 

• iam having the rig on the 7th and treatment starts on the 12th