Rig help

• 247 replies
  • 80 subscribers

Hi again

I’m currently in hospital after having a RIG fitted yesterday and I’ve never had so much pain in my life. I’m meant to be going home today but it hurts my stomach to move or walk, I’m so fed up, did anyone else suffer this much with the fitting? 

• Hi Sue

PEG fitted....no real pain after procedure....but abdominal muscle pain for about 5 days after discharge....well managed by pain meds....are ward medics aware of pain issues?

Peter

• Hi Sue. Yes, I had a RIG fitted and they can be very painful for the first few days. If the pain is so bad make sure you tell the nurses and Dr., they will give you the painkillers you need.

Ray.

• Thanks Peter, yes it’s my abdominal muscles and it’s painful to get out of bed but I’ve been told it should calm down in a day or two. The pain has been worse than my 3 previous operations! 

• Thanks Ray it was a bit of a shock to experience such pain as I thought it would be plain sailing! 

• Hi Sue, I had a RIG fitted last year & I found it extremely painful. My abdominal wall spasmed violently for 48hrs (trying to eject it) until I was given Buscopan. I was on Oramorph & Morphine and they didn't help at all with this particular pain. Took quite a while for thibgs to settle 

Tina x

• Thanks Tina I’m glad I’m not imagining this pain. I travelled by car for my mask fitting today and every speed bump killed me! I’ve only been given Codeine but the hospital staff today suggested I also take ibroprofen that has helped slightly. Did it help once the stitches came out?

Sue x

• My fasteners popped first and second time I stood up, there was so much pain I didn't realize, nursing staff didn't realize they were broke, so they weren't replaced. I've read other people talking about relief when they were removed. 

I had same problem travelling, I'd lift myself of the seat as we went over a speed bump but I missed lots of pot-holes - nightmare. It did get better Sue x

• HivSue I’ve heard buscopan helps with the pain from others on here. 
    hope you’re soon on the mend. 
    hugs Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Thanks for your reply. My worst pain is trying to get out of bed and wearing a bra which is so uncomfortable as my stomach feels bigger than my top half now as I’m so bloated. I suppose it’s early days being day 3 after RIG fitting. How long did your pain last? Sue x

• Thanks Hazel I’ve got gaviscon which is similar I think. Hopefully they work soon as I feel like I’m about to explode!! Sue x