PEG out time - looking for advice

• 18 replies
  • 77 subscribers

I will be having my PEG (not RIG) removed in the not too distant future.  When it was put in we discussed removal and I was given 2 options.  1 - remove it the way it went in with an endoscope and 2 - cut it close to the skin and push it in and leave it to naturally work its way through the body.

I had no problems with the insertion procedure using the endoscope.  I have difficulty with the thought process of the PEG just coming out naturally - what if it gets stuck!!  With the endoscope I do worry abut the possibility of bloating, but I had no problems with the insertion.  However I hear of others that did...

So I am looking experiences of the removal to help me decide

Thank you.

• when they took mine out it was a case of cut the tube to deflate the 'balloon' or disc or whatever.. and pull it out like a cork from a bottle... it sounds brutal, but it just smarts for a while.. stomach starts healing straight the way, and the bullet hole in a week or so.. 

Loz (61)

Oropharyngeal right tongue base T2N2bM0 squamous cell carcinoma p16 positive.. 

• Tube cut and PEG pulled out.....Whole thing took about 30 mins most of it preparation and  being re-assured.....Nurse who performed the removal in Dundee was excellent....as Loz states pretty much painless and heals quickly.

Peter

• Hi. I had problems with PEG insertion but it was pulled out with gas and air and although I was very anxious it was pretty painless and healed within a few days. Liz 

• Looks like my PEG is different as it has a solid bumper internally so can't be pulled out through the hole.  It can only go inwards.  Jury is still out, but thanks for the responses.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Jury is still out,

I’ve asked my retired Gastro consultant friend. The only contraindication for push in is if you have a tendency to constipation. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Mine was also a solid bumper, I was told if it broke when he tried to pull it I would need endoscopy to remove it. Thankfully it came out in one piece with the sound of a champagne cork! 

• it came out in one piece with the sound of a champagne cork!

lol.. yes, it definitely comes out with a 'POP', eh? 

Loz (61)

Oropharyngeal right tongue base T2N2bM0 squamous cell carcinoma p16 positive.. 

• Good evening Peter, it sounds as if you have the type of PEG with a disc on the end of it to stop it from being pulled out rather than the ballon type where they deflate the balloon by removing the water, when i first had my PEG fitted i had the same as the one you have and had it fitted the same way, removal was how you describe in your first option with no problems, i think a lot of the bloating is when you have a RIG but not 100%. Im not sure if i was offered the second option. I now have the balloon type as it gets changed every 4/6 months. I never realised that they pulled it out as that sounds a bit painful but maybe they are made of different from 12 years ago. I would go with your first option, Peter.. I bet you will be glad when you are tube-free.  

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Chris, thanks.  TBH the PEG does not worry me and I have many a time forgotten I have it in.  I think I am one of the lucky ones.  I like the reassurance form a "PEG expert" that the quick and simple method works Blush

Peter
  • I will up the Movicol to 8 per day at that stage - just in case Rofl

Peter