Will I ever be able to eat more solid food eventually

• 15 replies
  • 72 subscribers

Hi all

Not been on for a while but I am 14 months post treatment and have been struggling with my swallowing, I just wanted to if I will ever get back to eating more solid food 

• Hi Durhamlady

T2N1M0 tonsil cancer HPV16+...... finished Chemoradio June 2023

PEG removed in September 2023...started on very small meals supplemented with Ensure 2cal...October 2023 started on full meals...my swallow is not near 100% everything has to be washed down with lots of liquid....but things are still improving as is my taste.

Meat and some bread types still give me trouble.

Take care

Peter

• Hi Peter I am really still struggling with meat and cheese and bread. Is it just a case of keep trying x

• Hi Durhamlady

I am fine with toasted cheese on soft Hovis....Dairylea on oatcakes....Burgers/Steaks are difficult so I tend to avoid them....but yes it is down to experimentation....unfortunately some of my meals end up in the food bin.

Good luck 

Peter

• Good evening Durhamlady, a lot depends on what you have done and what side effects you have, i.e. trouble swallowing, tongue issues or maybe lack of saliva. You may have reached a stage where you can only swallow certain foods without it becoming uncomfortable, i used to have softer food with liquid to help my swallowing as some foods take all the moisture from your mouth making it difficult to swallow, have you spoked to your dietician about having a videofluoroscopy where they video how good or bad your swallowing is as they might be able to see why you cannot swallow certain foods. Keep up the good work, take care .

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Chris 

I have had a video fluoroscopy and yes I do have swallowing issues but I am hoping it will improve. They have had me on a soft diet but I am managing to eat more things now than I could before. I can manage beans on toast or eggs on toast, biscuits dipped in my tea, I can even eat chocolate. I just wondered if I would ever be able to eat more. 
    Thank you Chris 

• WOW,  you can eat chocolate.. I find it just coats my mouth due to the lack of saliva... biscuits and toast need plenty of tea to help them down.. so take that as a plus, and keep trying other foods.. it'll slowly get better

Loz (61)

Oropharyngeal right tongue base T2N2bM0 squamous cell carcinoma p16 positive.. 

• Different treatments, but after struggling long and hard after surgery and CRT in 13/14, then being totally nil by mouth for six odd months after laryngectomy surgery in 2020, I can now eat absolutely anything!

Other medical stuff got in the way as well, but the transformation for me in the last six months has been nothing short of miraculous, I eat huge portions of even very spicy curries, and can polish off a large takeaway kebab with all the extras. At the same time I've lost a lot of weight, more than four stone (that I really needed to), and at sixty-four I now actually look my age, rather than looking seventy-something!

Suppose the point is to never, ever give up hope; took a decade in my case but hopefully for you and everyone else it happens sooner.

I'm a chocolate monster as wellJoy

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

http://mike-o.blogspot.co.uk/

• It does coat my mouth but just a small amount is enough for now. Thank you for your help and advice. 
    Lillian x

• I just wondered if I would ever be able to eat more. 

Hi Lilian. Providing the swallowing issues are resolved I should think your eating would improve. Although they say that you get improvement up to two years it does go on longer. At five years I’m still getting improvements. 
    What does your SLT say? 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • WOW,  you can eat chocolate.. I find it just coats my mouth due to the lack of saliva..

Tiny sip of warm coffee with your chocolate, just enough to moisten your mouth, sorts that. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge