Will lost weight remain stable as time progresses?

• 19 replies
  • 73 subscribers

Radiation and chemo finished Aug 1, 2023 for me. (Tonsiil and sort palate cancer) I have lost a bit of weight and feel better for it. In fact, I doing well with eating, speaking, swallowing and experience no more pain related to the cancer. What I am wondering is will I stay this same size or will it start to come back to where it used to be? At what point is it likely to start to change?

Thanks, Kathy

• Hi Kathy for me my weight started to come back in around15 months after treatment finished. I’m now almost at my normal weight I lost around a stone which is niw back in  , no bigger but body shape has altered slightly around the waist area. 
    I had to stop the cakes ice creams etc. I’m 9 stone I lost most of my muscle mass which is now back,,today I’ve cycled 75 km up and over mountains in Spain not electric bikes pure pedal power  life is great  

Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi Kathy, I finished 3 wks before you, and I lost substantial weight over the course of my journey. To get the food tube out I had to maintain my weight for weeks, so I was on a really high carb diet and the Dietician I see doesn't want me to lose anymore until I'm aThumbsup year out. She's saying I can change out some of the carbs for veg if I start to gain. Unfortunately, a lot of my loss was muscle, so now I'm on an extremely high protein diet, but I'd be eager to lose the remainder of my excess fat. So unless I overeat, I don't see the weight going back on. Tina

• Hi Kathy 

Chemoradio finished in June 2023... rapid weight loss towards the end of treatment...shed 16 kilos...spent 12 days in hospital to stabilise my weight .... now eating well and have a healthy BMI....I don't think I will put the extra weight again.... luckily I kept some of my old clothes in the hope of slimming.... chemo has some odd 'benefits'

Peter 

• I was fine re weight gain till around 18 months. Five years later I really have to watch my weight! 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hard to believe isn’t it when you look back at our early years. I’m same no more cream cakes Cake never thought that would happen did we. 
    Hazel,x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi Kathy

Last op I lost 6k.g. I have now put a couple of k.g. back on but am happy to stay the weight I am now.It is a year since my last op.  I am maintaining that weight by eating although in puree form lots of veg, some fruit, some protein, some dairy. It works out as about the same number of calories every day. However unable to eat most cakes, biscuits, junk food. I top up with 3 Fortisip a day. I weigh myself about once a fortnight to make sure that I am not losing weight.  In the long run you definitely start putting the weight back on unless you keep an eye on it and adjust some of what you are eating. Do enjoy cake, biscuits and junk food in moderation. I wouldn't be that stringent it's just that with taste changes and pureeing some things just don't work for me.

Lyn

Sophie66

• I lost just a few kg in treatment, thanks to my partner feeding me up with cream in everything. 18 months on I've kept it off which I'm happy about. I keep thinking it will go back on but so far so good. I eat healthily anyway, lots of veg and not much carbs/sugar (and no cream, don't fancy it now!)

September 2022 aged 63 diagnosed with HPV associated SCC base of tongue T4 N2 M0. Chemo & radiotherapy for 6 weeks ending Nov 2022.  Dec 2023 one year all clear. See my profile for longer story

• Thanks Hazel, I'm impressed at your stamia to cycle so far. I'm pretty sure my weight loss is muscle as well as fat. I will hate stopping the carbs so I am enjoying while I can!

xoKathy

• Hi Tina,

Thanks for your reply. My dietician discharged me after I was able to maintain my weight for a month. I hope my weight stays the same as it is now but I'll have to give up the carbs I love eventually I suspect. The loss of weight has helped the arthritis in my knee quite a bit, which has delayed a knee replacement.

Very best

Kathy

• Hi Peter,

I had to laugh about the chemo having "odd benefits." Yes I agree although I also wonder if it was the radiation that put my metabolsm into overdrive ( speeded it up). I wasn't able to complete my chemo spending 9 days in hospital towards the end of treatment. My body just couldn't take more that the 4/7 chemos. For one thing, I am 74 years old and as the chemo potentiates the radiation effects, I got pretty sick. Also, my hearing has suffered. But that can also be due partly to age. Anyway, I have a cancer audiologist looking after my hearing.

Very best,

Kathy