Will lost weight remain stable as time progresses?

• 19 replies
  • 74 subscribers

Radiation and chemo finished Aug 1, 2023 for me. (Tonsiil and sort palate cancer) I have lost a bit of weight and feel better for it. In fact, I doing well with eating, speaking, swallowing and experience no more pain related to the cancer. What I am wondering is will I stay this same size or will it start to come back to where it used to be? At what point is it likely to start to change?

Thanks, Kathy

• Hi Dani- I will hate having to watch my weight again. I will enjoy the carbs while I can! It is delightful to hear of people able to return to a full active life though.

Best wishes,

Kathy

• Hi Kathy...it sort of sneaked up on me

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Hazel! I always enjoy hearing from you. I will miss my cream cakes and puddings. I am so pleased to hear that you are 5 years post treatment and getting on with living, I continue to try to get on with my life as it was back to BC (before cancer ;) Still some stamina issues but so relieved to be on this side of all that!!

Best

Kathy

• Hi Sophie,

I have lost quite a lot of weight and am able to eat things now that originally put the excess on, which is terribly fun for me but not really great for my body of course. I now am trying to accept that part of my return to good health will include eating better. I am sad to hear that you continue to need to puree your food but totally get it. It took me longer than I liked to get past that but I confess that I also prefer very soft foods and/or sauces that help me get food down. I still can't take some medications (magnesium which I run low on for some reason) except in liquid form. And when I get hungry I sometimes till drink the supplements which really help my energy.

Best wishes during your recovery

Kathy

• Thanks for your reply! Congrats on your year all clear! I suspect I will need to watch my diet more in the not too distant future. I used to like cream but have found most of my carbs do not include dairy products since the treatments. Change of taste. But I take inspiration in your ability to maintain your weight post treatment with your diet. I wish I didn't fancy the carbs, but I do. Oh well. Maybe after a full year I will start disliking them too like you!

Very best

Kathy

• Hi Kathy 

Another 'benefit' of Chemoradio was its effect on my Psoriatic Arthritis....it disappeared for a while..... sadly it returned with a vengeance .... Steroid injections and going back on Methotrexate have got it under control.

Tough gig for us lot 

Take care 

Peter 

• I've not had so much as a cold for close on eleven years now, migraine the same...I used to suffer really badly.

Had some proper serious stuff, including two more cancers, but I seem to have been "cured" of the trivialSlight smile.. Small mercies.

And another one I fotgot, I used to be a mosquito magnet on our Greek holidays, they've not come near me since CRT...must not taste so good!

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

http://mike-o.blogspot.co.uk/

• And another one I fotgot, I used to be a mosquito magnet on our Greek holidays, they've not come near me since CRT...must not taste so good!

JoyJoy

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks Mike. Yes I've escaped a cold this past winter but don't have as much experience with mosquitoes yet as I haven't got as much distance from the diagnosis and treatment as you. I haven't had migraines either but haven't had them since menopause so I can't attribute this treatment to help with that :-0

Very best

Kathy