Neck Incission Decission

• 14 replies
  • 70 subscribers

My tongue surgery showed aggressive squacous cells and Im advised to have lymph neck incission. What happens if NO cancer is found. Is that not an unnecessary surgery?

• What happens if NO cancer is found. Is that not an unnecessary surgery?

Yes it would be but how would they know there was no cancer without doing biopsies on the dissection? Have you discussed having radiotherapy to the neck instead? 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • They would do a biopsy but what if it is negative? No I haven't discussed radio therapy.

• Ah. I see what you mean. Well if it’s negative that’s good. It means that the cancer hasn’t spread to the lymph nodes sampled. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Achalanatha

All you can do is go with what your medical team recommend. They would not have advised a neck dissection unless they thought it necessary. Ask them more questions so you get the full picture. I had a stand alone neck dissection for one of my surgeries as I had a high chance of cancer in my left upper jaw although at that stage the biopsies were negative although there was some ongoing suspicious activity in my jaw.  I had a previous history of jaw cancer. I did as advised and then a year later I did get cancer in my left upper jaw. The neck dissection was done for me to reduce the risk of any cancer spreading further if it did occur.

I found the neck dissection was fairly easy and I had a quick recovery. I was only in hospital 3 days. It did alter the sensation on that side of my neck and caused a slight tightness but on the whole nothing major. It did also affect short term my ability to raise my arm above my head but this resolved over a couple of weeks. Others have had different experiences with their neck dissections but luckily mine was not complicated.

Lyn

Sophie66

• Hi, I want to advise you to have the surgery! My mum has just been diagnosed with incurable Lung Metastasis which oringinated from mouth cancer and i often think if they had removed all neck lymph nodes she wouldnt be in this mess now as it travelled into her lungs via the lymphatic system. Better safe than sorry! X

• Hello Ash. Can I just take this opportunity to welcome you here to the Community and say how sorry I am to hear about your mum. When did she have the first mouth cancer? Is she suitable for immunotherapy?

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Aww thank you means a lot, I’m devastated at the moment just trying to process it they have said she is going to receive treatment, surgery won’t be an option or radio therapy but she will be ok for other treatments.. she has an app on 18th to discuss her options in more detail x

• And she first was ever diagnosed 6 years ago x

• Six years? That’s such a shame. We would all hope to be cured by then. Let us know how she gets on if you are up to it. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks for your message