Can't Stop being Sick

• 8 replies
  • 71 subscribers

I'm almost 4 week post Radiotherapy and simply can't stop being sick.  I had a partial glossectomy in March, all went well but I had to have chemotherapy (4 sessions) and radiotherapy (30 sessions) to the lymph nodes in my neck.  Was doing OK until week 4 then that's when all my problems started.  I'm on shakes for eating as can't eat anything solid.  I'm currently being advised by Dietician to try and eat soups, yoghurts, custard etc. I have tried, but every time I eat anything I'm either sick straight after or if I manage to keep them now, then start coughing when I get up in the morning, and am sick then.  I've absolutely nothing in the my stomach as its always the bile that's coming up.  I'm so weak as I'm really not up for eating as I know what'll happen.

I'm not on any pain meds just now. Only thing I'm taking is anti-sickness meds, which appear not to be doing anything for me.  Main problem seems to be the secretions/mucus that I'm constantly following.  I'm using a nebuliser and a bicarbonate of soda mouthwash, but not much help.

When will this ever end? Starting to get really down now......

• Hi welcome to our small community group. Sorry you’ve found yourself here. MFirst thing I woujd do is try ti get anti sickness meds changed we are all started off on the cheapest ones. I’ve a friend who ended  uo of 8 different ones until she found one that was suitable. 
    As for food if you’re being sick it’s probably  due ti the wrong meds if you can swallow it’s doubtful they woujd fi it a n g feeding tube but you can ask then food goes girectky ti tummy along with medication and water. 
    you need to be drinking 2 litres of water to thin the dreaded mucus it’s a vicious circle. I resorted to pulling literally the mucus out with fingers. not pleasant but needs must plus constant spitting into tissues. I was using nebuliser up to 6 times a day not always the saline sometimes  plain boiled water. Plus I had a humidifier for bedroom which was used whenever I was in bed

It does get better tge 6 week into recovery is often a turning point but I kniw that’s no help to you now. My blogs below it might help. But do see about changing anti sickness. They may not complete the full course of chemo not all of us di ask about that as well. Radiotherapy is the main course of treatment. 
    Hope thus helps Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi and welcome from me too. 
    I sympathise. I spent practically my entire time throwing up. 
    My first thought is how strong is your gagging reflex? It might be the presence if the thick mucous that’s making you nauseous all the time so no amount of anti emetics will sort that. 
    Try minute sips of water every 15 minutes or so. I didn’t have a nebuliser as I found steaming my head over hot water helped but I’m more and more convinced that moist air in your mouth doesn’t do anything more than tiny sips of water anyway ( except perhaps psychologically) but that’s just me. 
    There is a drug called carbocysteine that helps thin mucous. It works for some people but not for others. 
    Your stomach is unwilling to accept food for now so it really is an uphill struggle. 
    Maybe stick with the Fortisips or Ensures  you have for a week then try again? Maybe try something with a bit more substance rather than just a thicker liquid like  custard or yoghurt. Maybe a poached egg or a bit of tinned peach which slips down nicely.

I know it’s too late now but were  you offered a feeding tube? 

You’re bound to feel weak and faint. Not only are you malnourished but you’ll be suffering radiation fatigue. It does get better. Slowly and a day at a time it does. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • hi, thanks for that.  I was never offered a feeding tube, but to be honest, never really wanted one.  I'm really struggling even with just the Ensures.  As I took them for weeks after my operation, I've really come to dislike them.  I really have to force myself to take them. The most I can manage is 2 a day which I know isn't enough, but just can't force myself to take any more. 

I got a phone call from a hospital doctor last night as my bloods had come back that I was low in potassium.  He offered me a drug that comes in a patch form that I can try to help reduce the mucus (can't remember what its called), so should get that today.  Hopefully that helps a bit.

I'm not sure if I could try anything more solid.  Tried some of the tinned mixed fruit a couple of weeks ago, but choked on that. Not really liked anything I've tried.  What's so annoying is I come across as a fussy eater, but before my operation I would virtually eat anything.  I've lost 3 1/2 stone now which tbh I really needed as I was quite overweight, but I am quite worried about how little i'm eating now.

I guess I'll just have to be more patient and let it take whatever time is needed, but this is so difficult.

Wishing you continued success in your recovery x

• hi, thanks for that.  I have had my meds changed 4 times now. Now on liquid meds as couldn't stop gagging with even the smallest pill.  I was drinking quite well a couple of weeks ago, but that has slowly changed so probably only drinking about 1litre plus my Ensures.  Problem is the more I am a sick the more I sit and dread eating or drinking anything.  The Ensures "hang about" in my mouth which makes me queazy, so I end up trying to gulp them down to get rid of the taste.

I'm at the stage where I'm feeling so negative about everything as there feels like there's nothing positive happening.  This feels worse than after the operation.......sorry just feeling so sorry for myself

good luck on your continued journey x

• hi, thanks for that.  I was never offered a feeding tube, but to be honest, never really wanted one.

Neither did I but it saved my life and made my recovery much easier than without one.

There seems to be a little inconsistency between trusts. Some  places insist on them before treatment starts, others if you need them and yet others refuse them entirely  

It’s awful that you have to struggle still after treatment. I didn’t know that mucolytics came in patch firm but that sounds really hopeful. 
    Have you been given exercises to strengthen you throat and swallowing muscles? I have been told to do them every day for ever. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi there.  I had very bad sicknesss for weeks.  It went in and on and gradually dwindled down over the months.  It was awful.  I took a lot of anti sickness meds for a long time.   Ask for stronger ones.  It does improve.   I am perfectly fine now 10 months on.  All the best.Lizzie 

• Hi I stamped my feet one Monday in front if dieticians I went home with a n g tube that day. I couldn’tget enough nutrition and yes orally the ensures we’re as bad as you say Strangely now  I quite enjoy the odd one. The treatment is brutal there’s no other way of saying it but I’m 4 years post radiotherapy and happily living my life. Do tell your team that the anti sickness aren’t working there will be others. 
    Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• I was exactly like you .  My sickness started during treatment  and I went through every single anti sickness there was but none worked.  I eventually put it down to the horrendous mucus ,, i was constantly spitting into tissue and spent  a small fortune on toilet tolls albeit the cheapest i could buy.  My sickness dwindled when the mucus finally started to ease  and that was around week 5/6 post .  I lost so much weight .  I stll dont eat as my mouth still flares from food but I do have a PEG  .., I am managing , water, juice and milk but I cough and splutter so I  bought a thickening  powder which gives the fluid some resistance when swallowing and this has worked wonders for me.  If you are post 4 weeks you should soon see mucus reducing ,, it happens all of a sudden 

Jo

x