Paranoia /mets etc.

• 18 replies
  • 72 subscribers

Hi again

I'm waiting for radiotherapy after surgery for a tongue SCC, I need some teeth extracted in the build up to radiotherapy. My mind is playing tricks on me. Every little thing worries me. I have a little sore patch beneath the surgical excision in my mouth, and I think is this cancer or a bit they missed? I woke up with sweats during the night and think, has it spread to my lungs? Is is normal to feel like this? Should I tell my team about all my concerns as I have a list of them?

thanks

Richard

• Hi Rich.

Yes anxiety is normal and if it's not addressed can make your whole life excruciating. Make a list of ALL the things that are bothering you, make two copies and give one to your team, going through them together one by one.

Try to avoid Google when you are feeling like this because all you end up doing is trying  to find an answer that tells you that you are safe but instead find lots of horrors

Are you an anxious person? If you are, generally, then maybe it's a good time to start to find something to help you through the treatment and the long recovery to follow. Our bodies heal pretty well from this sort of stuff but the battle with our mind remains for some time.

Counselling may be the answer but in this present climate it might be difficult to access. You could try your GP? Maybe there is some thing that's reachable privately? Macmillan offer six free counselling sessions so look at the link in red I've made Counselling

I can tell you that we all feel these things you imagine and some of us find them easier to dismiss. Nevertheless they are real. Your cancer is eminently treatable and curable, which is what your oncologist would have told you at the beginning so hold onto that.

Take care

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Rich

Yes to both.  I doubt if there is anyone on here who can honestly say no to either point you raised.  I've managed to extend my review periods from 2 months to 3 on the basis that I will raise any issues immediately with my team rather than waiting.  You do the same.  Invariably you will get the reassurance that you need that there is nothing the matter - and they will NEVER make you feel silly for raising the issue - and if there is anything amiss it can be dealt with before it becomes a problem.

Sorry to hear that you needed to  loose a few teeth, but good luck with the treatment going forwards.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Thanks to you both. I gave the oncology nurse a ring, it was very helpful. Yes I am an anxious person and will be getting some therapy soon.

Richard

• Hi Richy welcome from me hopefully once your plan is in place snd treatment starts your anxiety will lesson.Prior to my treatment  starting even me little miss positive had a few nightmare  scenario s st nighttime. It’s only human nature. Always tell your team any concerns they are there to help. 
    Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Good evening Rich17, its very unlikely that any cancer has returned so soon after surgery. Im pleased you are going to seek help from a councillor, its always worrying times so soon after surgery. Try to be positive as im sure the team are on top of things and will answer all your concerns. It sounds as if you have been misinformed by maybe looking on Google, nobody can guarantee 100% anything at this early stage but you have a very good chance of making a full recovery like many of us on here. We all cope differently with dealing with cancer i tend to look on the positive side but others look on the negative side, there is no right or wrong its the way we are built and i im the first to admit i went to see a Macmillan trained councillor who did help me understand more about my cancer and how to cope. I wish you all the very best for your future treatment, take care. 

Chris 

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Cheers

Now I've got COVID and have had my tooth extraction delayed. It never rains but it pours.

Richard

• I got the new variant a month ago.  Like bad flu.  Had no option but to spend 48 hours in bed then I was reasonably OK, but breathless.  Hopefully it is only a weeks delay as you should be clear of being infectious 5 days after testing positive (for most people)

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Oh No!!!!

Not in the same league but I got Covid just before a planned flight to see my daughter in in June

3 days snuggled in duvet on the sofa and I was fine

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • I got the new variant a month ago

How do you know, Peter?

I was shielding at the beginning of the pandemic so when I got ill I reported it in the hope that I might get antivirals.

No luck........But I was OK .....just poorly for a few days

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Rich. Oh dear a short  delay  of a few weeks won’t make any difference apart from your state of mind.  I first discovered my lump in lymph node in March we were in Spain so I didn’t get it checked until we returned home in May. Cancer wa the furthest thing from my mind I thought I had pulled something whilst cycling.
    Hopefully you will  have only mild symptoms and everything will be back on track. Use the time to eat as well as you can all your favourite foods. For me it was double chocolate magnums. 
    Keep in touch 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help