Hypopharyngeal cancer

• 12 replies
  • 69 subscribers

I had a full neck scope , larynx, pharynx, oesophagus and biopsies done last week 14th, neck biopsies taken on 10th.  Is is right that the results can take up to 3 weeks? Do you just have to sit and wait?????  The waiting is just unbelievably difficult. How much difference does it make?

The other thing is that I have this very sore perpetual sore throat. Its like a burning ring around my entire throat. It's not new just worse. Even water make me cringe. With the tumour on at the back of throat (piriform fosa) it's all becoming very uncomfortable any suggestions????

Pauline.

• Hi. Biopsy results take two weeks usually. They then have to be discussed at your multidisciplinary team, which if it meets a few days after ( usually once a week) would account for a little longer. You could give your consultants secretary or your CNS a ring. While gargling with aspirin would work with a sore throat I think your pain is a little too far down to be reached. You could ask your GP for some cocodamol. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
    1. Afternoon

Had call fromnhospital today. Most of the biopsies ste back, appointment Mondayv27th June @ 9.30.  Suspecting its not good news!   At least I'll know whatcI have yo deal with.

Will try aspirin gargle!

Pauline

• Hope all goes as well as it can for you Pauline, my first cancer also had piriform fossa as a primary site (we're a rare group), and that diagnosis was nearly nine years ago now. Still hereThumbsup.

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

http://mike-o.blogspot.co.uk/

• Hi Pauline. Take someone with you if you can plus s notebook and pen. Ask questions if you’re unsure if answer ask them again. As is is your heads a mess we’ve all been there. 
    few questions 

what treatment are they looking at ? 
    when will it start ? 
    if chemo which ones ? 
    Will a peg be fitted or a retrospective n g tube if needed. 
    Hold head high look them in the face you can do it. 
    Yes soluble  aspirin worth trying. Plus let consultants know about pain. 
    Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Got azlist will add anything. Thank you.  X

• Glad to no there's others.  What is SCC?  I am very concerned about treatment. How disabling is it???

See you had a reoccurrence, theyvtell mecthis is notvunusual?  How long aftervdiagnosiszdidcyou startvtrestment?  So many questions!!!@

• SCC is squamous cell carcinoma, which is the most common type of head and neck cancer (I think). The treatment is a rough ride but it's doable, many many people on here have done it and come through a bit battered but OK. My blog (here) might give you an idea of what to expect.

I was very unlucky with the recurrance; I'd got my five year all clear which meant, as I understand it, that I was at the same risk of cancer as someone who'd never had it. I just drew the short straw. It was actually described to me as a "new" cancer at times rather than a recurrance, there didn't seem to be a consistant opionion, but it was of no matter to me anyway.

Treatment timetable will depend on whether you have any surgery first really, have you been told you'll need any?

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

• They have said they cannot access the tumour so I don't believe surgery is an option. How long did your treatment last???

I think I just need to get started! CannI pick your brain if I need too????

• I've just read through your blog!  I don't know what to say!  That mask fills me with total fear, I'm claustrophobic!!! That has freaked me a bit!  I'm guessing yo were not expecting this!

Total admiration for you. I pray to all the Gods I don't have to go through this, I'm such a coward.

Prior to diagnosis what were your symptons? I have a constant sore throat, a lump, painful left ear, problem swallowing/eating. Some days are worse than others.

Where does this come from?

Scaredey Pauline.  X

• Feel free to pick my brain whenever you like.

Community Champion Badge