Hypopharyngeal cancer

• 12 replies
  • 69 subscribers

I had a full neck scope , larynx, pharynx, oesophagus and biopsies done last week 14th, neck biopsies taken on 10th.  Is is right that the results can take up to 3 weeks? Do you just have to sit and wait?????  The waiting is just unbelievably difficult. How much difference does it make?

The other thing is that I have this very sore perpetual sore throat. Its like a burning ring around my entire throat. It's not new just worse. Even water make me cringe. With the tumour on at the back of throat (piriform fosa) it's all becoming very uncomfortable any suggestions????

Pauline.

• It's quite likely I'd have thought, though I'm no doctor, that the swellings are enlarged lymph nodes, which may suggest the cancer has spread to some of them; that was certainly the case for me.

It's totally understandable to be frightened, the waiting is the worst time of all, once it starts and you have a plan in place and your team have talked you through it it'll get much easier to cope.

There are things that can be done to help when it comes to mask fitting, just tell people how you're feeling if/when it comes to it. Lots of people get a sedative of some sort, and the "claustrophobia" effect can be reduced by cutting the eye holes out of the mask, many have that done.

Always here for you Pauline.

Mike x

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

http://mike-o.blogspot.co.uk/

• Good evening Pauline, it all sounds scary at the moment please try and relax and not fear the worse, we can only give our advice through what we have been through and each one of us is different to what treatment we have and how we coped and managed, MikeO has given some great answers so i cannot really add much more. If possible do not look up your symptoms on google as it will make matters even worse. I know waiting is the worst bit but whichever way it goes you will be in good hands with experienced consultants. Wishing you all the best, take care.

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge