Here we go again

• 34 replies
  • 73 subscribers

Not the best news at this time of year but I am back on the roller coaster of treatment for my mouth cancer related to the lichen planus that I have had since I was in my 40’s. I have already had 2 operations one in 2013 and one in 2019 with radiotherapy both times and recovered quite well from both after some adjustment time.

I have been able to get on with my life fairly normally although after the last operation had to adjust to my altered ability to eat but have now have got a handle on it and am getting on quite well.

I have always known that the condition I have has to be managed and cannot be cured so it is no surprise that I need another operation as a recent biopsy has shown more cancer in my upper jaw and palate. I am having scans next week and will then meet with my surgeon to find out the extent of the operation. From what he has told me initially it looks as though it is going to be another big one. I will hardly need a dentist at all soon as it looks as though I probably won’t have any teeth left in my upper jaw and will just have the teeth in my lower left jaw left.

At least there will be no more radiotherapy as I have had my quota.

I am not looking forward to another big operation but ‘needs must’ as I am not prepared to give up yet as there are still lots of things I want to do. I feel most sorry for my husband who has already helped me through the previous operations. He is such a support.

I just want to say a big thank you to this forum as you really helped me through the recovery after my last operation. Your support has meant such a lot to me and I know with your help I’ll get through this one too.

Best wishes to you all wherever you are in your cancer journey.

Lyn

• Hi Dani

Thank you for your kind words. As I just said to Chris I am going to have to take it day by day and work with the challenges as they arise. Easy to say at the moment but when the reality happens not so easy.

I am so lucky to have such a supportive husband and family as there are many out there who have to go it alone and that is really tough.

Wishing you and your family a very Happy Christmas. I am going to make the most of mine.

Love Lyn

xx

Sophie66

• Aww,thats awfully.I same as you more surgery 3 weeks ago .I just got to 4 years exact and it decided to rear its ugly head .Like you said we have lots to see and do ,so we fight .Wishing you all the best 

• Hi Sigankitsa

Not you too. I’m sorry to hear that you had to have another operation. You wouldn’t believe it after 4 years you would think that it would have the common decency to give up. Cancer is so unpredictable isn’t it ?

I have definitely skipped the healthy gene somewhere. My mother lived to 92 years and my father is still alive at 97 years and never a sign of cancer between them.

We just push on though don’t we. I have definitely got many things to be thankful for as since my cancer was first diagnosed when I was 59 I have had 4 more grandchildren and had some really nice trips. You don’t take things for granted after a cancer diagnosis so I have tried to pack in as much as I can over the years.

Wishing you all the best during your recovery and I hope that the cancer you have decides to give it a rest.

Best wishes

Lyn

Sophie66

• So sorry to read your news Lyn. I have just been catching up so a bit late. I'm hoping you have an easier time with it. You've been here before so at least you'll be a little more prepared for what's to come.

All the best,

little-fi xx

• Thanks little fi. Yes you are right as I have been there before I at least have an idea of what to expect. Don’t’ know if that is necessarily good though as sometimes ignorance is bliss. However I am going to take it one day at a time.

Hope all is going well with you.

Lyn

Sophie66

• Thanks Lyn, I'm in the same boat, more surgery in Oct, completed radiotherapy Nov 23rd and still having immunotherapy. incurable but treatable at the moment so keep on believing I will be here for quite some time yet!

little-fi x

• Hi little fi

I am sorry to hear that you had to go through more surgery and radiotherapy. It’s always disappointing when that cancer rears its head again, pretty inconsiderate of it. It’s great that you are having immunotherapy as I have heard good reports of results from it on this forum. I hope your recuperation is going well.

Knowing that others such as yourself are going  through similar issues and in the same club, 'incurable but treatable' is really helping me so I don’t feel so alone at this time.

I am still waiting for my PET scan as everything closes here over Christmas and New Year and I won’t know anything until the week of Jan 10th as my surgeon’s office is closed until then. It will probably go pretty fast after that.

I am currently making the most of the holidays, catching up with family and trying to put the countdown to Jan 10th to the back of my mind. My mouth is a bit sore after the biopsy but regular Panadol is helping.

I am thinking of you and wishing you all the best during your recovery time and wishing you many more healthy years to come.

Lyn

xxx

Sophie66

• Hi Lynn Thinking if you Hope mouth heals soon. Please let us know as soon as you can  when’ve you’ve seen consultant.

Enjoy family time. 
    Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi Lyn

I'm so sorry to hear you have to have another operation.  Apologies also for my late reply to your post - I missed it somehow and have just caught up.

Sounds like you have great support to get you through again and of course we'll be here for you.  You're such a fabulous asset to the forum with your thoughtful and insightful posts.

Thinking of you.

Linda x

• Hi Lyn. That’s a real stab in the back after all you’ve been through. All you can do is plug on. This isn’t easy this journey is it? Hugs. Xxx

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge