Here we go again

• 34 replies
  • 74 subscribers

Not the best news at this time of year but I am back on the roller coaster of treatment for my mouth cancer related to the lichen planus that I have had since I was in my 40’s. I have already had 2 operations one in 2013 and one in 2019 with radiotherapy both times and recovered quite well from both after some adjustment time.

I have been able to get on with my life fairly normally although after the last operation had to adjust to my altered ability to eat but have now have got a handle on it and am getting on quite well.

I have always known that the condition I have has to be managed and cannot be cured so it is no surprise that I need another operation as a recent biopsy has shown more cancer in my upper jaw and palate. I am having scans next week and will then meet with my surgeon to find out the extent of the operation. From what he has told me initially it looks as though it is going to be another big one. I will hardly need a dentist at all soon as it looks as though I probably won’t have any teeth left in my upper jaw and will just have the teeth in my lower left jaw left.

At least there will be no more radiotherapy as I have had my quota.

I am not looking forward to another big operation but ‘needs must’ as I am not prepared to give up yet as there are still lots of things I want to do. I feel most sorry for my husband who has already helped me through the previous operations. He is such a support.

I just want to say a big thank you to this forum as you really helped me through the recovery after my last operation. Your support has meant such a lot to me and I know with your help I’ll get through this one too.

Best wishes to you all wherever you are in your cancer journey.

Lyn

• Oh Lyn, that's awful news, especially given the expected scale of the operation. Sending virtual strength to you and your husband. Ans

• Dear Lyn Can I swear!! Bug bug bug so sorry not the news any of us want to hear. We will be with you once again all the way. Like you say you’ve too much to live for so  dust yourself off . You never know I might get out to Adelaide come if these days on my world  cancer tour,got a guy in Sydney friends up in Coolangatta family in Redlands Bay so never say never, csn always add in Southern Australia 
    It’s Christmas Eve soon over there so once again try not to stress and we’re all here fir your. 
    Extra hugs Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Lyn I'm so sorry to hear that.  We're all here for you as you face this latest challenge.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Hi Ans, thank you so much for your words of support. They mean a lot to me.I appreciate the virtual strength you are sending me. Lyn

Sophie66

• Hi Hazel, thanks for the words of support I really do appreciate them.Yes you can swear because I did but I can't say it on this forum.

It would be great if you could visit Adelaide on your world cancer tour. I'd love to show you some of the amazing things we have on this side of the world.

I'm trying to put things to the back of my mind until after Christmas and will then have to face it full on but until then am going to make sure that I enjoy this Christmas with the family.

Wishing you and your family a great Christmas.

Love Lyn xx

Sophie66

• Thanks so much Peter I really appreciate that.

Lyn

Sophie66

• Bless you Lyn, so sorry to hear that you will need another operation, i know the feeling so well about facing up to big operations but as you say "needs must" . I had the same thoughts as you and never gave up as i knew i still had a lot to live for. I have no bottom teeth due to bottom jaw reconstruction and cannot speak but like you i have learned to adapt to my new way of life. I certainly could not have gone through it without the help of my family and friends. Good luck with your scans and the appointment with your consultant, i know they will continue offering you the best treatment available. Wishing you and your husband all the best.

Hugs 

Chris xx

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• So so sorry Lyn. You are a great stalwart of this forum. Your wonderful support and wisdom has helped many through their darkest days. 
    Don’t worry too much about your husband. Stan and I have talked about these things and honestly it sounds like you have a wonderful partner just like mine. Let him look after you and bear some of your anguish. 
    I wish I could hold your hand and give you a huge hug in person but will have to make do with  cyber one. 
    Bless you Lyn and hang on

Best wishes xx

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Lyn. You’ve got this have a good Christmas Eve and hugs from my family to yours. We’re all here for you xx yes will put Adelaide on my list and when you get to U.K. will show you the sights of Yorkshire xx

Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi Chris

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement. It is really helping me knowing that I am not alone in this journey.

I am sorry that you have had several large operations also that have affected your life in a big way but your optimism is a real example.

I know there are going to be challenges ahead and I will have to take them day by day. I am just forging ahead with Christmas at the moment and am going to worry about the scans and the operation after that.

I am very lucky as I have a great surgeon who has been with me from day 1. He is so supportive and caring and doesn’t hurry me on when I see him. Couldn’t ask for better.

Wishing you and your family a very happy Christmas.

Lyn

xxx

Sophie66