Feeding tube and likely consequences of RT

• 54 replies
  • 77 subscribers

I start my RT in under 4 weeks, 6 weeks so 30 sessions, and I'll be given 6 sessions of chemo so 1 a week

As I'm having RT to both tonsil sites they want me to have a feeding tube, which I'm dead against, in fact I hate the very thought of it.

How much pain am I likely to be in here, my appointment in oncology today was bleak, they basically said if I don't get enough protein treatment may stop, but from what I've heard the worst symptoms start after the 6 weeks of treatment.

I suppose the reality may be that I experience double the symptoms of others here, is that even manageable 

There must be a solution to this, I thought if I took regular pain killers then I'd be OK, 

• Hi Mark I had the exact same problem I was able to eat up to week 5 and then got neuropenia or the like sick as a parrot and had to have a tube down nose . Listen I am no light weight pussy but if you cannot eat you die. As said to me here you have to think of food as medicine . I was over 17 stone and am nearer probably 13 now. The hose down the nose is a doddle unless you leave it until you cannot eat then it can be an issue getting it down as I found out , with the tube coming out my mouth , Third nurse managed to get it in , not something I want to repeat Thanks. Just get it is my advice , trying to eat is the worse part of this experience. You mentioned Pain Killers thats what was killing me everyday was just taking medication trying to swallow was a nightmare. Get it and it will make your trip so much better . All the Best Minmax 

• Hi Mark. We are all different but we all get through. You can expect discomfort to start seriously after two weeks as far as the RT goes but the chemo is likely to make you sick for a couple of days. I had an NG tube at the end of week three and after that was on morphine. My pain was very unpleasant and stopped me eating but proper use of morphine kept it manageable. Your weight will be closely monitored and if you lose too much you are likely to be hospitalised for the rest of your treatment. 
    As Min says. You need fuel to fight this 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Sound advice above Mark, I was exclusively tube fed for about three months in 2014, then another five months last/this year. As suggested having one in place as "insurance" before treatment starts is a much easier procedure than having one put in during treatment if/when it becomes neccessary.

Couple of questions, are they talking about a naso gastric tube through your nose (like Beesuit and Minmax) or a RIG/PEG in your stomach? I've had both and would take the tummy option every time. Also, what about it makes you hate the thought of it?

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

http://mike-o.blogspot.co.uk/

• Hello mark, I had an identical treatment of 30 RT and 6 Chemotherapy treatments back in 2014 for throat cancer.  After 10 days I couldn’t swallow a thing (not even water) and my Peg tube was a god send.  Firstly I couldn’t digest the formula food they gave me as it made me feel sick and I had extreme  heartburn from it = I was puking everything up.  In the space of 3 weeks I went from 82kg done to 68kg.  I resorted to to liquidising tinned foods with water, cakes with milk etc etc and injecting them via the peg.   

In short, don’t underestimate the side effects of the treatment. Nothing prepared me for the pain, (burns from RT/ throat ), the sickness from chemo and  lose of my saliva (down to 10%) and the peg allowed me to continue feed myself. (Top tip, take laxatives if you are given oramorph) 

I was a healthy 34 year old, a robust and physically fit dude because I was and still am a serving soldier in the Army. - it knocked me for six mate.  

Have the feeding tub fitted and opt for a Peg if you can. It’s less maintenance once settled down than the nose tube. 

7 years on and all is good! I’m more than happy to chat via phone if you want to swap details.  It’s bloody hard work but absolutely doable! 

• Hi Mark, I had a RIG fitted before my treatment started, after 3 weeks into the treatment I was 100% relient on it, and I used it for about 10 weeks in all. My advice to anyone who is offered one  is to have it. By having it, if you can't eat it is one less thing to worry about. The way I look at it is, its better to have even if you don't need it, than need it and not have it. All the best .

Regards Ray.

• Hi I never had the feeding tube was like you I was determined not another thing to go through it was so hard . Only manage to fortisip  drinks and water through a straw for six weeks.Only downside was spent last 2 weeks of treatment in hospital. Whatever you decide its no walk in the park but you can do this best wishes x

• My mum  is 5 weeks into radiotherapy in her throat and was also dead set against the peg, but it has been a godsend. It got infected and was leaking the week after she had it in and she ended up a week in hospital until it was sorted. For her it is just physically she can’t swallow so needs nutrition by the peg, otherwise she would dehydrate. Now she is getting nutrition she has more energy and is handling the treatment much better as a whole.

• Good evening Mark, please do not write off having a PEG fitted, i have heard of so many people struggling once they start their treatment either they were not offered a feeding tube or B they refused one. Once they have been fitted and settled down they are not a problem, hidden away and in most cases, you are a lot more mobile as you can take the food supplement wherever you go and just syringe it via the feeding tube, while the NG tube you are hooked up to a pump (i believe) We all recover and have different reactions to the treatment, some people get through it fairly easy but others not so easy, as mentioned on other replies. I personally did not have a bad reaction to it but did use my feeding tube PEG and was thankful as swallowing can become difficult. 

You will be monitored throughout your treatment as will your pain with strong painkillers prescribed when needed, this is where Dr Google or ill-informed people can put the frighteners on people, most of us on here have been through operations, radio, or chemo and in their own way have managed to come through it all. All the best with your treatment and whatever is decided on about a feeding tube, take care.

Chris 

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• while the NG tube you are hooked up to a pump (i believe)

You can be. I was pump fed overnight. Or you can simply put the food through by syringe any time 

The advantage of being pump fed was that it freed me up in the day to play with what I could eat

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Mark I just had a rethink about the feeding problem and I was advised here to take whatever I was offered. I was totally against the idea of having anything fitted and was determined to do it  on my own . The nurse mentioned a rig or ng and I was given a weekend to think about it.  The following week I was told they did not want to fit a rig as could be risky . Take whatever you are offered is my advice . The hardest part of the day was taking medication and they were serious pills to swallow. I was on slow realise morphine and oramorph which only took the edge of it . Maybe I wasn't taking enough lol . All the Best Regards Minmax