Please help me !!!!

• 20 replies
  • 69 subscribers

Hi 

I have a tracheal tumour that’s cancer and I have just been told that they want to do a windpipe resection I’m terrified about this they explained what it was and it sound horrific can anyone help me that has had a windpipe resection as I’m aware cancer here is very rare and not many have resection operation I’m 46 and im The main carer in my house as I have an autistic child snd a child with type 1 Diabetes and a 12 year old I’m so worried about it all and if I should even have the operation.

• If they want to go through the neck then the tumour must be near the top of your trachea. Mine was at the bottom so they went in through my back.

I had surgery at Nottingham City Hospital. was in ITU for 24h, in hospital for 6 days. The op was 9 Sept. Mid November I started 32 sessions of radiotherapy, finishing about 10 Jan.

Getting home after the op is great but you'll be tired and on strong painkillers and will probably need support and help.

When the radiotherapy started I was fine at first but it is tiring. I drove myself the 12m to Derby for the first half, but my wife took me for the daily treatment for the second half.

B.

• Thank you, it’s what I needed to talk to someone who has been through this as I’m so scared that something will go wrong well I’m terrified actually, you have helped me so much as you have got through all of it , thanks for sharing with me x

• Very welcome :)

From what you have said, it isn't all bad news (y'now, cancer right, but we are where we are and we have to get as much info as we need and make the sensible choices along with the best medical advice we can get).

Surgery through the front is preferable to the back I think. A 3cm resection means the tumour is a similar size to mine, and won't be too much of a strain on the remaining part of your windpipe. It would be good to find out if it is localised or if it has gone through the wall. Mine didn't but there were a couple of nodes nearby which were removed just to be on the safe side, and were actually fine.

The radiotherapy will cover the area of the new join in the windpipe and a distance either side, again to err on the side of caution.

You might want to say hi to the Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma group too (that was my tumour type) because there are other people there who have had this surgery. Always best to get a range of voices to tell you what to expect.

Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma forum

B.

• Good evening Chelle75, please do not think on the negative side, I'm sure they would not even consider doing this operation unless they thought they had a very high percentage it would work even though nothing is guaranteed. I don't think not having the operation is an option,i was 48 when i had my first of 3 head and neck cancers and always went with what my consultant suggested , one was to rebuild my lower jaw and the other removal of my voicebox which he said was the only option. Please don't worry too much about your family needs as you will be entitled to some sort of benefit plus help for your children. All my operations sounded scary, mainly because we are not surgeons etc, and it is all new to us as patients but if you take things a day at a time or week by week you will find that it becomes easier to understand. I'm so glad I put my trust in my consultant as he and the N.H.S have extended my life from 2010 to now. I know i have not had this operation but i know how most operations come back with positive results, wishing you well ,take care.

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Pray you have been so helpful 

• Thank you so much you have made so much sense and I’m sorry what you went through but it’s great you are here and can help others with advice x

• You are welcome chelle75, its ok im well over it now and live quite a normal life but like to offer any help or advice to others who need that little bit of encouragement and self-belief. Please keep us updated., wishing you and your family well .

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Barry 

I have finally had a meeting with Birmingham surgeon he wants to now go through my back I feel nervous about it but he said that’s the best place to go in as I have a short neck apparently.

• Actually I don't think I've encountered anyone who has had a tracheal resection via the front... The theory is they go that way if the tumour is high up, but I've only met people with it lower I guess. Did they show you the exact location on a scan?

I can talk you through the detail of what they do and what the recovery is like day by day, I don't want to overload you with detail unless you ask though :)

Did they give you a date for the op yet?

B.

• Hi Barry 

No date yet just said 6-8 weeks time they going in near my shoulder blade he says I would be in a lot of pain after in my chest and it would take about 8 weeks to recover but I do always think it’s longer than that I would definitely be interested to hear honest thoughts on the operation so I have a rough idea what to expect