hard neck !!

• 7 replies
  • 72 subscribers

Hi all not posted here in a while. I am 2 1/2 years on from surgery / chemo radiotherapy for tonsil SCC HPv and tumour removed from neck. Have always had pain / stiffness in neck since which I regularly attend massage for. I am however noticing the area around my scar becoming hard (no lumps/bumps) just lierally a hard neck !! And slightly puffy around the scar area.  I know these could potentially be scar tissue and lymphodema from reading some posts here ? I just wondered if anyone else had this as time went on ? I will contact my HN nurse next week but always good to get some advice from here , found this site invaluable in the past .

Take care everyone Revolving hearts

• I haven’t personally but it does sound like scar tissue and radiation fibrosis. It’s a good idea maybe to up the massage with some bland massage oil? Maybe you can get some stretching exercises from a physio familiar with RT? 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Good evening Sunshine2018, certain areas of my neck/skin are hard and have been since 2008 when i had my radio and chemotherapy, my consultant recommended vitamin E in lotion or skincare form as it helps the skin recover especially from the radiotherapy, I never had any puffiness around the area so you could be right with lymphodema. The nurse should be able to point you in the right direction, so pleased you have made a good recovery, wishing you all the best,take care.

Chris x 

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Sunshine

Have to agree with Chris. I have a constant battle with the scar tissue in my neck. I do about 15 minutes of physio every morning when I get up and part of that is neck excercises to try and stop it stiffening up too much. I often don't feel like doing them but if I don't I pay for it later so I really do try and make the effort even if I'm away from home. This is 8 years on from treatment so I'm pretty much resigned to that always being the case. Its not really a problem just another adjustment to make. 

All the best

JonH

• Thank you all. I am going into clinic on Wednesday just to get things checked . 

• Hi Sunshine 2018

We're about the same time frame with our treatment and yes, I too have a lot of discomfort down my neck and hardness due I think to fibrosis and muscle damage.

Hope all goes well for you tomorrow.

Linda x

• Yes me to some days worse than others , especially if it gets warm  using hair dryer washing hair and any heat , I use bio oil some days it’s really annoying but agree it’s hard at times 

• I'm about the same timescale as you, had operation in July 2018 and last of 33 radio in October of same year

I had quite bad lymphoedema for a good 6 months but this has virtually gone now apart from a bit of puffiness between chin and lip

I also have a bit of hardness where scar was from chin to ear but nothing that bothers me

I also I have a hard (wooden) bit from my chin down to mid clavicle which feels like an extra windpipe, it doesn't really bother me, but sometimes feels like it restricts my adams apple from going up and down as it should.

I occasionally get this feeling that it could move slightly to the side and effect my breathing, but my consultant assured me it wouldn't

Made it to Christmas, made it to my birthday, had a nice summer, made it to my 2nd (and 3rd) Christmas now writing a blog about my treatment - https://www.1in1440.co.uk/april-2018-you-have-cancer/