Dental appointment at Guys Hospital - immediate treatment or more delays?

• 12 replies
  • 72 subscribers

My husband is currently going through diagnosis, but Consultant told us from visual inspection he was 95% sure it was tongue cancer.  We’ve now got an appointment with the dental team too.  I realise that this means they want to check teeth before treatment.  My question is, do you know if they will do any treatment / extractions there and then?  My worry is that surgery and /or radiotherapy will be delayed whilst waiting for dentistry. 

Thanks.

• Hi 10blass and welcome to the community 

Sorry to hear that your husband has tongue cancer. 
    A dental check is routine before treatment. If your husband has radiotherapy it does impact the circulation of the jaw and if he has to have extractions in future years there is a small chance that the bone won’t heal and actually die. It is quite rare but it’s devastating if it happens. For this reason unhealthy molars in the line of fire are extracted. It’s unlikely they will do anything at the time of the check which will include a panoramic X-ray of his whole jaw. 
    This won’t make any difference to speed of treatment. Targeting radiotherapy is complicated and time us needed to prepare and plan. He will have to have a planning scan and a mask made to immobilise him in the same position in the treatment table. 
    So relax about any delay. The only delay comes to capacity on the machines and you just have to cope with that. 
    Please hang around. There are plenty of people here who have had similar treatment and survived and thrived. 
    No question is too trivial. 
    Best wishes 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi 10blass and welcome.

I was about to reply in exactly the same frame as Dani!  

Hope all goes well at your husband's dental check.

Linda x 

• Ah, ok that’s great. We get the full diagnosis on Monday, but due to hospital cock ups (ie not notifying us of appointments) it is now over 2 weeks since he was seen and had the scans, so we are worried that treatment is falling behind.  It seems to me that each week that passes is another chance for the cancer to spread.

• Try not to worry. These things do take time. Mine was particular slow but from diagnosis to first RT I was 2 months. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Hi 10 blass

Please don’t stress from first bring referred to treatment starting I was 63 days. Plus it was May 2018 when I went to g p but thinking about it later the lymph node was there in February! Dani has summed everything up so won’t repeat. 
    many questions just ask 

haze x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Could I ask you another question please?  Did any of you suffer from fatigue before any of your treatments started? I’ve noticed how tired he suddenly seems (he’s only 58).  In the work up, GP ordered blood tests, and one that has come back as abnormal is RAISED iron levels which explains the tiredness, but I can’t understand the link between this and cancer.  Do you think it’s related or coincidental?

• No I was fine. I felt well except I had a feeling my body wasn’t right. I’d lost just a little weight too. My wedding ring slipped off my finger in the washing up. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Hi 10blass

Just to add to what has already been said about the dental check - and I had mine on Tuesday (not that I am currently heading for radiotherapy, just getting ahead of the curve) - the dentist not only stressed the issue around potential bone damage, but also the effect of reduced saliva which in turn reduces the protection of the teeth.

The check involves a "simple" x-ray of the mouth and then extensive examination of the teeth.  Fortunately mine were in good order and do not require further treatment.

Get the hospital to write to your dentist post you check stressing the need to detailed and regular follow-up dental checks.  I know some struggle to get dental checks in the current climate and that letter may just push you to the top of the queue.

BTW I had a hospital extraction of an infected tooth 3 weeks ago as it was showing on my PET scan and I did not want it to confuse and other issues.  The extraction was quick, easy and painless; and I loathe dental work!!

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • I’ll echo the post treatment check ups. I’m seen every three months to get a fluoride varnish 

Most people are on lifelong high fluoride prescription toothpaste too

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • That's interesting 10blass, I am currently undergoing chemoradiation for base of tongue with lymph node spread, my only 'odd' in blood beforehand was raised iron too, too busy getting my head round everything to query it at the time but interesting you say that.

I have had periods of fatigue before diagnosis, shortly after the lump in my neck suddenly appearing i was shattered. Has improved since, think maybe my body had a fight on.