Week 7 post treatment. Slow but steady progress.

• 23 replies
  • 73 subscribers

I hope this might be helpful to anyone setting out on a similar journey to my own (tonsillar cancer, TORS removal of right tonsil with neck dissection followed by 30 fractions of R/T and concurrent Cisplatin x1 and Carboplatin x4.) Treatment ended on 2nd Jan 2021. All undertaken by an incredible team during the Covid crisis. 

This can seem a never ending rollercoaster of a journey with its ups and downs, and even seemingly going backwards at times, but it does improve. 

Well, it’s now 7 weeks since I finished treatment and things are definitely improving, albeit veeeery sloooowly. I had a good birthday on Wednesday and enjoyed very slimy tagliatelle with seafood and lots of sauce followed by THE most amazing and calorie-laden sherry trifle. My throat suffered a slight setback afterwards but it was well worth it! 

The ulceration around my excision site persists and got me down a bit later in the week. However Dani, Hazel, Linda and Trev gave me a talking to and I felt much better afterwards. Thanks chaps. 

I’ve reduced pain relief to paracetamol four times a day with the odd ibuprofen thrown in if things flare up. I’ve now stopped MST altogether. I was warned by my doc that painkillers could lessen the pain but not eliminate it, so the remaining soreness I am prepared put up with especially as it’s now tolerable rather than debilitating. When I look back even to just a couple of weeks ago there’s been a huge improvement, even though day to day progress has sometimes seemed to be almost static.

The pesky lymphodema beneath my chin still wibbles and wobbles about and shows little sign of shifting. I’ve found some drainage exercises to do (thanks Dani) so am religiously trying to stroke it away several times a day. One of the many drawbacks of Covid is not being able to attend a lymphodema clinic. Hey ho. Needs must, and it’s a very small price to pay. 

So overall at the end of week 7 post treatment I’m cautiously happy. The inside of my mouth and throat seems to change a little daily, with the odd little lumps and sores appearing and then disappearing. But my eating is getting better and my sleeping is improving, despite the ongoing dry mouth at night.

The sun is out, the birds are singing, the heating is no longer on full blast and I’m cautiously optimistic that I can see some light at the end of the tunnel. 

• The feeding tube was discussed with me, but i was dead set against it and that was part of what forced me to get the supplements down my neck Slight smile

No cancer recovery is easy in my mind mark, you are doing fab.

• Hi Trev .....just out of sheer nosiness why were you dead set against having a feeding tube?

Folk seem to be quite polarised about this. When I was diagnosed I said to my consultant "I don't care what you do to me but can you fix it? I questioned the need for one when I signed the consent form for treatment but he said he was going to "really fry the back of my throat" so I just never gave it another thought.

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Yes Trev. I was actually glad I wasn’t given the option, even though reading some others’ accounts on here made me a little nervous, especially at the point I was down to being able to eat only very sloppy Ready Brek. 

Unfortunately, over the weekend I got a little cocky and ate far too much of the lovely carrot cake my wife made me for my birthday - for later. I’m suffering for it this morning with a rasping throat. A reminder to heed Hazel’s ‘baby steps’ advice, perhaps.

Now where are those ibuprofen tabs......

• Hi Marc Yes baby steps some days 2 forwards 1 back . You’ll get there  we all do. 
    Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi Dani, i just really hated the idea

The thought of a tube down my nose made me feel extremely queasy.

I was worried about it coming out etc

I was worried that if i stopped swallowing normally and relied on a tube it would be more likely that i would struggle to regain normal function

I was just incredibly bloody minded about it

On reflection maybe id have done better with one, it took forever to get my supplements and water down at the peak of pain.

Trev

• Thanks Trev. I don’t think we get enough accurate information from our support teams or maybe it’s just not knowing the right questions to ask. My dieticians really held me to ransom about losing weight and they were right.The better you are nutritionally the quicker you heal which I can understand. I had a plethora of mouth jaw and throat exercises to do after my NG tube went in and I nobody ever told me I would lose the ability to swallow. I guess some folk have problems with swallowing with strictures and scar tissue no matter what happens. 
    I'm so pleased you are recovering so well

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • We have both done that mark! 

About 2 or 3 months ago i first started eating proper food again, and i had a mad weekend, i had TWO big steak pies with roast potatoes on the friday, a chinese curry takeaway with rice and chips on the saturday, and on the sunday ---- i had roast pork with loads of crackling - followed by scratchings in the evening and 2 pints of beer

I had ulcers and a scratchy throat for about a week afterwards Slight smile

Definitely baby steps are best.

• My team was split over 2 sites dani, i had treatment at the QE and saw a dietician sporadically but they just wanted to weigh me and test my grip strength and i was out

Then i traveled to heartlands to see my consultant who saw me for about 20 seconds at a time (well im exaggerating but it was under 5 mins) and looked frustrated when i asked questions.

He did say he was concerned about me at one point, it was an 8am appointment and i could barely speak...and i had lost 3 lbs weight in one week.

He suggested that if i didnt improve i would need admission to rehydrate and a tube which was the incentive i needed to stabilize my weight, it was stable the next visit (admittedly with the help of an incredibly thick arran jumper!)

• admittedly with the help of an incredibly thick arran jumper

Ha ha. Hazel and I used to stuff phones and keys in our pockets and wear our heaviest shoes. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • I know it’s not funny really Trev, but that made me laugh out loud! I think I’ll steer clear of curry for a few more weeks now!