Terminal Squamous Cell Carcinoma Larynx

• 13 replies
  • 69 subscribers

Hi everyone, I'm new to this. I hope you're all ok and as well as you can be.

I'm 50 years old, I'm disabled in a wheelchair with very painful complex rare medical conditions. I am also a full time carer for my severely disabled wife.

I was diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma Larynx in December 2022, I was due to have a full Laryngectomy operation in January 2023. 

Unfortunately I had a severe allergic reaction to a drug they gave me during the operation, it caused anaphylactic shock. I had two heart attacks in theatre and a third heart attack in critical care, I was clinically dead for 30 minutes. The surgeon could only fit a tracheostomy, he had to abandon the rest of the surgery, he wasn't able to remove the tumour and my lymph gland in my neck. They were going to turn my life support system off, but my wife insisted they didn't, I'm so relieved she did, I woke up two days later. It was awful for my family to have to go through.

I am now no longer a candidate for surgery. I had 15 sessions of Radiotherapy in April 2023. 

The cancer is terminal. They don't know how much time I've got left, I have a camera down my nose every 12 weeks to see how big the tumour is. 

I have a peg feeding tube, I can't eat much because I choke on it. I'm very tired all the time, it's really hard caring for my wife and I'm scared not knowing how much time I've got left, my wife couldn't cope without me. I'm now trying to make the most of every

day. 

• Hi  

I am so sad to read your story. Do you have help provided by your GP and district nurse? 
    If you ring the Macmillan helpline, number at the bottom of my post, there are a number of support systems that they can help you with.There is no way you can deal with this in your own 
    Do you have family around you at all? 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Summer

I am so sorry to hear what you have gone through. The worry of the unknown can really play on your mind and this is a really hard time for you and your wife. You can get counseling through Macmillan so is that something that might help you? There is info on this site. I do hope you have some extra help as it is a big responsibility you have being your wife's carer. Your G.P. should be able to point you in the right direction. Now is the time to get help with the mundane everyday tasks and then have time to make some memories with your wife without the worry of getting the washing done.

Please do reach out and get the help you need.

Sending you hugs

Lyn

Sophie66

• So sorry to be reading this post Summer475, please seek help from either a Macmillan counsel or your Dr as your Dr will be able to get outside help to help for both you and your wife as there is no way you should cope with this on your own, its bad enough coping with cancer as we can all vouch for. It must be so worrying for you all so i hope you can get the help and support you both need. Take care and all the best. 

Chris  

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Beesuit

Thank you for the advice. I read your blog it's really good.

I don't have any family only my wife's parents who are both elderly. I do have one carer for an hour in the mornings to help me. My wife has agency carers to help with her physical needs, she's had a broken back and has short term memory loss, so I have to do everything else for her.

The carers don't do cleaning or anything like that, so I am constantly cleaning up after them. It's so tiring, I have Elhers Danlos Syndrome, all my joints dislocate really easily, it's extremely painful, so I have to pay for a cleaner now to come to help me once a week.

The district nurses are supposed to see me at home once a week, but they don't come to see me or ring me. I complained about it and got two visits from them and now they have stopped coming to see me again.

I will definitely ring the Macmillan helpline.

Thank you

• Hi Sophie66

Thanks, I think I do need some counseling from Macmillan.

I do have one carer for an hour in the mornings to help me. My wife has agency carers to help with her physical needs, but they don't do any cleaning. I have to pay for a cleaner now to come to help me once a week.

Thanks very much for your advice.

• Hi chris2012

Thanks very much for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Take care 

• Hi Summer475  Sory you find yourself here but welcome.  I can  only add to what other by saying you should make use of the services Macmillan be they pastoral, information and financial help.  These services can either be accessed via the more button ( ask an expert) or your lead nurse at the hospital.   Best wishes Michael.  

• Hi Mick 28.12.22

Thank you for the welcome, and the advice.

Take care

• Hi everyone,

Just an update to say thanks ever so much for the advice, I really appreciate it.

I have telephoned the Macmillan support line, they were so helpful and supportive and very understanding.

I have managed to get the right support I need. I don't feel so alone anymore.

Thanks again Thumbsup 

• I have telephoned the Macmillan support line, they were so helpful and supportive and very understanding.

I’m so pleased they were able to help and that you get the practical help you need. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge