Painful surgical wound site staples in neck

• 4 replies
  • 67 subscribers

I am struggling slightly, my  partial glossectomy and Sentinel Node biospy Wednesday (17th) and I am coping well with tongue site, however the neck wound  became sore yesterday and through the night and today  it is very hard and angry at one side of wound( 4inches long) it has a hard lump and it is  really pulling  and throbbing. It just appears to be the first two staples ( not discharging) but it is painful to even  slightly turn neck of walk about..

As due out on Monday by district nurse I left a message this morning and they phoned after lunch suggesting I either speak to ward or 111.

Hoping I will get call back from111. still waiting

But is this normal to have this pain or could it be an infection. 

I have no previous experience of staples and am concerned that something is going wrong.

As always thank you.

• Hi. You’ve made the right decision calling 111 

It does sound like an infection. Hope you get it sorted soon 

I would definitely call the ward too. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Good evening Lanclassie, it would not surprise me if you have an infection as the body could be reacting to the staples due to them being in there so long, i was so happy once they were removed as mine did become infected but once they were removed it healed up lovely. I hope you managed to get some answers. All the best.

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Sorry for late reply

Late to bedGrinning

Thank you Dani and Chris, 111 sent me to hospital for check up antibotics given for neck and advice on prevent bleeding side tongue( sadly that happened too).

It was felt the pain and swelling was also related to the sutures that are inside the neck area too and it was just the first staple that looked angry - reassured staples can come out tomorrow.

Dr insisted much return if swelling worsened and bleeding did not reduce with ice water and pressure as instructed.  Both worked as sweeling neck no worse and slight bleed this morning was stopped.  Mouth apparently is healing well.

• Pity you had to go to A&E but thankfully they got it sorted. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge