Seconds out! Round 2

• 105 replies
  • 76 subscribers

I thought I would start a single thread to discuss my ongoing treatment rather than it popping up in multiple threads.

For those new to the site a brief synopsis of "Round 1" is below.

I will update this tread as things happen and bits fall off or are removed from me as time goes on!

Synopsis of Round 1:

Late Sep 2019 found a lump in my RHS neck.  Within a week had it checked by the GP and was on a 2 week pathway.  Ultrasound scan and needle biopsy.

Oct saw ENT and was told the needle biopsy was clear, but they would like to take the lump out ASAP just to be sure.  Glad they did as it came back SCC HPV+.  OMG - moving from all OK to cancer in one very uneasy step!

I found this out 3 days before going to the USA for a 3 1/2 week holiday.  We still went and I spent the time enjoying myself, getting my head around things and booking all the scans and appointments I would need on my return.  I was in PET/CT & MRI scanners within 24 hours of landing back in the UK and discussing treatment pathways within 3 days of completing the scans.

With Christmas coming I was lucky that the planned biopsies were scheduled for the first working day in the New Year.  Looking back I am grateful that I had a "good" Christmas.

The tonsil and tongue biopsies were clear, but we knew the cancer was or had been there.  Probably in my tongue.  Despite the clear biopsies we agreed to remove the tonsils and the RHS Level II downwards.  Tonsil surgery hurts!  Neck dissections are easy (in comparison).

Histology did not find anything so it was decided not to move into radiotherapy as there was no "target".  Instead I was on a 5 year "watchful waiting" program.

Covid has not really interrupted my treatment.  I've been luck to work with 2 fantastic hospitals and some impressive clinical teams.

In the summer my check PET/CT was clear and the Covid rules allowed for a great socially distanced party!

However, my January check-up and scoping found some swelling in my tongue where we thought the primary may be hiding.  I was booked in for a panendoscopy within a week and got the results 10 days later.  The primary had been found.  Hence Round 2!

• Thursday 18 Feb 2021

Just got myself and my wife booked in for Covid vaccinations next Thursday.  Excellent response from the GP at pushing us up the list once he found out about the situation.

That removes a stress point about being able to make all the treatment and have someone to drive me the 110 mile round trip to Southampton.  

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Hi Peter. That’s good one less thing  to worry about. We do seem to be getting the vaccines done which can only bode well 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Tuesday 23 Feb 2021

The next set of punches in the round have been thrown!

I had an MRI late on Sunday afternoon - OMG 1 hour 10 mins in the scanner, so long! 

I got rung up at 9am this morning asking me to attend ENT oncology at 3.30pm today.  Luckily I was expecting the appointment, but they could have got their act together earlier!

Alas the meeting with the consultants was inconclusive.

Missing Sundays MRI scan due to "technical issues". But we've agreed on 2 options depending what the scan says. The problem is that the CT does not show up the cancer. Probably too small. The MRI can detect smaller lumps but without that we don't know if surgery is an option.

Plan a) is surgery; possibly with radiotherapy if the histology says its not all out

Plan b) is radiotherapy if the MRI scan does not detect it as they do not have a target to cut out.

Hope to get a phone consultation by the end of the week to make the final decision.

Whatever the plan, is I am resigned to going on a  "beach fit" diet and looking good in my budgie smugglers in time for Lockdown travel restrictions to be lifted Laughing  

Peter
  • Whatever the plan, is I am resigned to going on a  "beach fit" diet and looking good in my budgie smugglers in time for Lockdown travel restrictions to be lifted

Ha ha Peter. You know better than that. You know the dieticians won’t let you lose weight. They will be frighteningly on your case. 
    I hope they come up with a plan quickly for you. 
    And yes. The MRI for head stuff takes ages. Hateful. 
    Good luck and best wishes. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Peter 

agree with Dani dieticians won’t let you loose that much plus we will be on your case. Fingers x you get sorted and plan in place an sure you’ll chase them up 

Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Really hope you get a plan in place soon peter! and nope you know you are not allowed to lose weight Slight smile

Good news on the vaccine too! i have been impressed with the rollout.

Trev

• I guess the MRI I had before probably lasted as long, but I don't remember as I fell asleep! LaughingLaughingLaughing

I do need to loose around 4 - 5kg to get back to my normal weight post Christmas and eating all those foods I enjoy (but are not good for you) before I can't.  So hopefully some leeway.

Anyway... Vaccination day tomorrow Smile

Peter
  • If it is possible to have a silver lining, the one silver lining of my treatment is i am back to my ideal weight now

Before diagnosis i had got very lazy - stopped playing squash and doing weights and had been eating junk, and was 2 stone overweight, i tell people it was a good job i was fat!

Good luck with the vaccination, the organisation is impressive and i felt very safe.

• Good luck with it all Peter. I had the opposite problem and was trying to pile on some weight before treatment started - this after years of yo-yo dieting! Double cream, full fat milk, chips, fortisips, milk shakes, you name it. This definitely helped me through the treatment. Mind you, they had to loosen my RT shell at one point as I’d put on so much weight that week! 
    I was inoculated last week with the Oxford jab. I felt a bit under the weather for a day or two but am fine now. Next one in 12 weeks. 

• We had the Pfizer jab today - I think as the site is only a few minutes drive from the local hospital with storage facilities.  Depending on my treatment plan I may see if the GP will pull my second dose forwards to 3 weeks to get it all done before the side effects kick in too badly.  But the key is getting dose 1 in adequate time to build up the majority of immunity. 

Anybody with a new cancer diagnosis should not hesitate to talk to their GP to see if they can be brought forward in the list.  If nothing else, it really helps ease the mind through reducing the risk of contracting Covid during treatment and the knock on consequences to your treatment.

As Trev said really well organised and such a cheerful, friendly bunch of volunteers.  If you are offered it; go for it!

Peter