Squamous cell carcinoma - Nasal Septum

• 6 replies
  • 70 subscribers

Hi, Diagnosed with SCC on my nasal septum a month ago, undergone mri and ct scans with no indication of spread elsewhere, fortunately. Surgery to remove the tumor planned in a couple of weeks time. Not quite sure what to expect after the op, surgeon’s talked about possible collapse of my nose with plastic surgery sometime in the future. Just wondered if anyone has been through a similar procedure and could offer any advice. Many thanks

• HI. Hopefully somebody will come along to help but in the meantime you could look through this thread

Nasal cancer

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Beesuit, Many thanks for pointing me in the direction of this thread. Ive had a read through, very informative if not somewhat worrying. I guess I will have to wait until after surgery to see the extent of what Im left with. Its happened and I guess I just going to have to come to terms with it and manage the outcome as many have and are doing.

• Remember some of that thread is a few years old and there have been innovations in treatment. You might well be able to take advantage. Good luck. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Hi. I was also diagnosed with SCC on the inside of my nose on the left hand side at the beginning of April. The surgeons original plan was to remove half - 3/4 of my nose and then undergo radiation treatment. I’m young with a toddler and a baby, it was very unexpected. I just had surgery last week and he removed part of my septum aswell as lots of other tissue. I need to wait another 2 weeks to find out the biopsy results and if he got it all or if I need more surgery. He managed to preserve the skin on the top of my nose so it still looks like a nose, although I can’t feel the majority of it now. He orginally said I would need radiation treatment and then shortly after said I might not so I’m very much in the unknown just now. It’s a horrible time, I thankfully have my children to keep my head out the sand but I am also completely exhausted trying to keep up with them, recover and still trying to get my head around everything. I’ve also gave up my business, and my part time job, I feel a little lost. I think we might be in a similar boat cancer wise.

• Hi  so sorry you have found yourself here but happy you and  have found each other. It’s quite a rare cancer here. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Hi, very sorry to hear of your diagnosis, especially so as you are young and with a young family. I’m somewhat older at 65, retired at Christmas 2023 expecting to enjoy more free time then had the cancer bombshell at the end of March, life on hold!

My SCC is also on the left-hand side nasal septum, 2 by 2.5 CM in size.

I’m due to undergo surgery next week and remain concerned about how much of a nose I’ll have left, the surgeon’s comment was “we like to be bold”! However, your post has given me hope inasmuch that the surgeons have preserved the skin on your nose, hopefully they will be able to do the same for me. Once the tumour has been removed and tested this, I guess will determine future treatment such as radiotherapy or further surgery. I’m still very much in the dark but guess I will find out more next week.

Other than the tumour I feel fairly OK and MRI & CT scans indicated no spread elsewhere which I was very pleased to hear about.

I was very emotional post diagnosis but I seem to have rallied round a little and am just trying to keep busy and get on with things. How I will feel post op remains to be seen and I have to say I’m not looking forward to the procedure.

Please keep me posted as to how you are progressing and I will do the same.