Help and advice needed - Radiotherapy/Chemo

• 41 replies
  • 74 subscribers

Hi

I am due to start 6 weeks of radiotherapy and 6 chemo sessions in a couple of weeks and have to make a decison on whether I want a feeding tube - I can have a PEG fitted before treatment but apparently can't have it mid way so can't change my mind if I say 'no' now, instead I will be given a nasal tube.

What has everyone else done, I don't feel that well advised by the team, I was sent away with leaflets to read that was about it. 

I am pretty determined and usually have a good pain threshold (had partial tongue glossectomy and neck dissection and just needed paracetomol with the odd ibuprofen). Have any of you got through the treatment without needing any tubes?

Thanks in advance

Sue

• Hi, Sue, They are easily removed, however the district nurse came to remove mine, I don't think they would want you to do it yourself.

Regards Ray.

• Heavens no. Sorry if I gave that impression. A NG tube is  a different thing altogether. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Sue

My experience was the same as TrevW.  It wasn't easy and towards the end of treatment it ws suggested I would require a NG tube but in the end my weight stabilised and I got through without it.  I did have a NG tube while in hospital after surgery to remove the tumour from the base of my tongue and it was not a problem.

As you've probably realised from your replies there is no right or wrong way to approach this as everyone's experience is slightly different.  I suppose after consideration you have to go with your gut instinct as to what you feel is right for you. 

Wishing you all the best with your treatment.

Linda x

• Thanks Linda - yes you are right there s no right or wrong way and I am struggling to make a decision, I sit 50/50 either way which doesn't help! 

Sue

• Whichever decision you make won't be the end of the world.  If you decide to have a PEG it will be in place should you need it.  If you decide not to then a NG tube is always available should you require it.

I wasn't given the option so didn't have to wring my hands as to what to do.

Linda x

• Hi, Beesuit, yes I realize they are totally differant, I wasn't suggesting you were wrong to remove your NG tube. Due to the RIG being surgically  fitted they have to monitor the site for a short while after removal.

Regards Ray.

• Ray apologies again. Post was meant for Sue. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks Dani and Ray for your input it is very much appreciated.  I wouldn't be removing a PEG myself not sure I would be brave enough to remove a NG tube either so no harm done.

Dani - can I ask a question about the NG tube did you find it came out on its own often or did it go down the wrong hole at any point? 

Thanks

Sue

• Hi Sue

I had cancer somewhere around tonsil area (primary not found) and a neck dissection, CT & Chemo. I was told I would probably need a feeding tube at some point, but funnily enough no decision to make then, no leaflets and nothing further said by any of my team. I got through surgery/RT and chemo with paracetamol/Ibuoprofen and co-codamol and they never mentioned a tube again. It was tough when food started to taste metally/salty. I think that lasted 2 weeks. I tried to eat little and often and supplemented with Fortisips. I am possibly in the minority to get through the whole treatment like this but, ever so greatful. I never wanted a tube unless team had absolutely pushed it as I hate anything like that. So I guess with me, it was possibly good luck on my side. Good luck with whichever avenue you choose.

Tricia

Piya10
  • It’s a long tube and there is quite a bit in the stomach so it stays put though you are supposed to check it regularly. (Aspirate a little in a syringe and check it with a pH stick) 

I suffered with a lot of nausea and did vomit up the tube but it was replaced at RT no problem. There was no way it came out on its own. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge