Help and advice needed - Radiotherapy/Chemo

• 41 replies
  • 75 subscribers

Hi

I am due to start 6 weeks of radiotherapy and 6 chemo sessions in a couple of weeks and have to make a decison on whether I want a feeding tube - I can have a PEG fitted before treatment but apparently can't have it mid way so can't change my mind if I say 'no' now, instead I will be given a nasal tube.

What has everyone else done, I don't feel that well advised by the team, I was sent away with leaflets to read that was about it. 

I am pretty determined and usually have a good pain threshold (had partial tongue glossectomy and neck dissection and just needed paracetomol with the odd ibuprofen). Have any of you got through the treatment without needing any tubes?

Thanks in advance

Sue

• Hi Sue

i had a PEG fitted. i wasnt given the choice because they were worried about the possibility of getting dehydrated or ill from not being able to eat and the risk/difficulties of being treated at A & E at the moment. 

I’ve just completed 6 weeks and haven’t needed the PEG. I really hate it if I’m honest but I’m glad I have it there as a fall back. I am able to eat soft food and smooothies but it’s exhausting and quite unpleasant and I think I may resort to the PEG over the next few weeks, even just as a back up,

I think it’s worth it for peace of mind.

Sasha

• Hi Sue

I can answer only from personal experience. I had a nasogastric tube at the end of week three. I took it out myself when it wasn’t needed. I’m glad I didn’t have a PEG. The NG tube took minutes to fit and involved only mild discomfort being put in. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Sue

I can answer only from personal experience. I had a nasogastric tube at the end of week three after one of my RTs in the same department. I took it out myself when it wasn’t needed. I’m glad I didn’t have a PEG. The NG tube took minutes to fit and involved only mild discomfort being put in. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Sue

I can also only speak from personal experience, i didnt have a tube of any kind fitted.

But it was not an easy run, i can remember finding it hard to get my calories down when at my worst.

Others have gone for tubes, and some have managed to self feed with less pain than i experiencd

Is there any reason to not see how you go- and then have a nasal tube if needed?

• Hi, Sue, My advice is always the same about a PEG or a RIG, ( they are very similar ) have one. I had a RIG fitted and needed it from about week 3, for about 10 weeks was 100% reliant on it. It is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

All the best with your treatment.

Regards Ray.

• Thanks Sasha - firstly well done for completing 6 weeks and not needing the PEG - that is brilliant and gives me hope!  You made a very good poin about the risk/difficulties of being treated in A&E which I hadn't considered. I think this kind of swings it to have it fitted as you rightly say for peace of mind.

Hope things stay good for you over the next few weeks. Stick at it, it will be worth it.

Sue

• Thanks Dani - I have been given option of nasal tube later if needed but I am worried my throat etc will be sore further down the line and I may not tolerate the tube.

Sue

• Well done TevW too - it is really good to hear that some have got through without any kind of tube fitted.  I am sort of sitting on the fence with the watch and wait approach that was my initial thoughts but some people I have spoken to said the nasal tube was not comfortable for any length of time and I am worried that my mouth/throat will be sore when I am at my worst so the thought of having a tube fitted at that point is a bit off putting.

Thanks

Sue

• Thanks Ray that is very helpful. It shows how different everyone's experience is and I suppose being prepared is a good thing.  Are they easy to remove?

Thanks

Sue

• Hi Sue. I couldn’t feel it at all once in place. It wasn’t any bother at all 

Dani 

Community Champion badge