Dry Eyes

• 17 replies
  • 71 subscribers

had a total Rhinoectomy  in March 2020 and came out of hospital the following day, due to the Coronavirus.  Following that I  had six weeks of radiotherapy which finished at the end of June 2020.  I did well through the radiotherapy until the last few days when I developed very sore scabs around the operation site and eyes that were very runny.  They gave me a couple of days off to rest my face as the mask was getting very tight and resting on the scabs.  I finished the rest of my treatment by the end of June 2020.  I was given the all clear in August 2020 which was a great relief.  Saw my oncologist in December who confirmed the cancer was gone.  I am still getting lots of mucus in the nose cavity and a lot of irritation for which I am taking paracetamol, Tramadol and Amitriptyline  (which I was already taking before the cancer).  My eyes are running all the time, which started half was through my radiotherapy.  I have had various gels and drops but nothing seems to be clearing them up. I as wondering in anyone else has suffered with the running ‘dry’ eyes and any remedies you  have found that gives  any relief.   I have had a prosthetic nose made which attaches with water based glue and I am awaiting dentures which are being made but my current appointment, which was for tomorrow has been cancelled due to the latest lockdown so I don’t know when the next one will be as yet.   I would be very grateful for any remedies that you have found that might help.  When I first started with this nasal cancer I struggled to find anyone in the same situation.  I have since found one lovely lady who has been through  her own nightmare and we are still in regular contact. Thanks 

• Hi Trish still giggling at the supermarket guy good girl him just carrying on. Fingers x fir your appointment on 4 March   
    Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Brilliant story Trish about the chaps nose falling off i can see the funny side, a great pick me -up. Its only natural to be feeling like this with your oncology visits as i was much the same with my Maxillofacial check-ups. Fingers crossed for an appointment about teeth/dentures and keep up the hard work as you are making a great recovery, all the best to you both, take care .

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Chris not long now. 

Trish x
  • Hi WakeyLass

I suffer with dry eye where I had surgery, as now my eyelid droops a bit.  In my situation the drops I use work by just cleaning the eye and not stopping the problem of tears running down my face.  I find it gets worse under certain lights, sunshine, scented products and when I am cooking.   I guess with all the trigger factors and my eyelid not sitting right it is a continuing problem. It took a good 5 years after my treatment for my dry eye to become a problem. Some days are worse than others. I find my glasses shielding my eye can help with a few trigger factors. 

So glad you have a friend to share with.

Best wishes 

Nicky

• Thank you for your  Nicky.  My eyes started about half way through my radiotherapy.  I thought it was hayfever as it was a very warm summer and the pollen count was high, but it’s never gone away since and is a bit of a nuisance now.  Both eyes stream most of the time.  As I said in my other post, I’m back to see my Consultant on Wednesday the 3rd so have added it to other things I need to ask.  If I don’t write it down it will get forgotten.  I do wear specs but find them very uncomfortable at the moment especially when the nose goes back in it’s box for the day.

Trish x
  • Hello everyone, had another 3 month check yesterday with my oncologist who says all is good.  I had him remove some scabbing that I can’t get rid of around the outer edge.  When I do it it always bleeds and the bathroom looks like a murder scene.  Anyway it happens whilst he was doing it, I could feel it.  He dives for some clothes to press there, I’m highly amused, don’t know why.  He eventually said I will have to cauterise this, it may hurt, after what ive been thought I didn’t even feel it.  He then proceeded to squirt some cream all around.  Then he said he would refer me to the Eye Clinic regarding my runny eyes and also I needed to contact my Gp to get a blood test to check my thyroid.  Hopefully I can blame my thyroid  on the weight gain and sleeping in instead of me just being lazy and fat!!

Trish x