Side affects of radiotherapy after parotidectomy

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 68 subscribers

I finished radiotherapy in May 2019 after a parotidectomy.  In the last few months fluid is building up in my face for which I am doing exercises to try and massage it away.  I am concerned that I’ve started feeling nauseous and don’t know whether this is due to fluid build-up or maybe the cancer returning.  I’ve been having regular follow-ups with my oncologist and the lymphoedema clinic, but these have been cancelled due to corona, so I can’t ask anybody.  I’m not feeling any pain, so I hope it’s fluid and not cancer.  Can you tell me please whether this could be due to fluid.  Thank you.  Doreen

• It could easily be fluid. If you have lymphodema in your neck you can easily have done in your throat. I certainly did and I had a lot of nausea
    BUT

i have missed two check ups due to COVID-19. My oncologist at my last phone appointment was at great pains to point out that they were still seeing patients and if there was anything worrying me I should call. 
    So you should give the hospital a ring and get your mind put  at rest. 
    Hope it’s nothing. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Doreen 

i concur with what advise @Beesuit has given you I too had a telephone consultation a few weeks ago and it was made clear any doubts you have  to contact either your Macmillan team or consultants secretary ,they are working just not doing routine consultation so please get in touch voicing any concerns you may have. They can tell you much better but than  we can.Good luck,it’s probably nothing but best get the experts to tell you.

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hello Doreen, as the other girls have said, it sounds more like a build-up of fluid and i tend to go down that route as well, i very much doubt if its anything sinister, as long as your appetite is reasonable, your weight stable, with no extra lumps or fatigue setting in you should be ok. Hopefully, the clinics will get back to some sort of normality and you can get these issues sorted, best wishes, take care.

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge