My husband had a full rhinectomy and removal of top jaw would like to hear from anyone who’s had similar experiences xxx

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 34 replies
  • 71 subscribers

After surgery for his Rhinectomy and removal of top jaw in September 2017 my husband went on to have 6 weeks of Radiotheraphy he wears an obturator to fill gap where his top palate was at the moment 6 weeks after radiotherapy going ok mucus is lessioning but on very strong painkillers due to the pain in his throat I know it’s early days but would love to hear from anyone who’s had a similar experience Thankyou so much xxx 

• If he has any sore skin around his face I used bio oil on it.  I will say that I have some partial Numb parts on my face from nerve damage from the removal.  It might be nice  he had a very nice soft brush (makeup brush) to stroke his face with.  I had one screw holding my surgical obtarator to the bit of the hard palate that wasnt removed.  That might have contributed to the pain.  I had mine replaced with another removable obtarator before I started radio.  Tell your Dad keep smiling and a sense of humour goes along way.  I’ll be 50 in a few months time and bonkers ...

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to TDN68

Absolutely agree about the sense of human thankfully hubby has a brilliant sense of humour which has helped him get through all this yes they said today that it is where the wires were some inflammation there I will tell him about bio oil just waiting now to hear when he has nose prothesis made all going good fingers crossed xxxx 

• May I apologise I referred to him as your Dad.

Do you mind me asking how old your husband is?  Did they say how long it would be until he has his prosthesi? I take it the implants are in.

• FormerMember

No not at all don’t apologise xx He is 54 no implants yet so they are going to try and attach nose to glasses for now seeing surgeon next weds so he might have different ideas xx 

• i Had my implants put in at the same time as my rhinectomy and neck dissection, the best way for the type of implants I had.  I had to go back in for partial maxillectomy due to the margins of rhinectomy not being satisfactory.  I also had a temporary nose on glasses for a bit.    Was the cancer in his septum?

• FormerMember

Hi Kolas cancer was in sinus got so big it  pushed into his mouth so that’s why he had Rhinectomy and full maxillectomy to completely remove tumour Radiotheraphy to mop up any stray cells what was nose on glasses like did it sit flush against your skin ? They are thinking eventually they will put a titanium rod in what’s left of bridge of nose to hold a prothesis . 

• Right I see mine was in the septum of my nose.  It was a carcenoma.  Like your hubbie it was to mop up stray cells.  Every case is a different method but I always look on the bright side of life with my prosthetic nose oh I do grieve and have my moments there’s doubt about that but more laughter than anything.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi sounds like you are an amazing support.  My mum in law had full rhinectomy plus removal of most of both cheeks with grafts to fill in cheek spaces and removal of partial upper lip.  About 6 weeks ago. Also removal of part of neck and lymph nodes. Has a lump under arm and under chin also.  80 years old and now 38kg.  Started radiation today 6 weeks proton high doses.  Now has aggressive tumour growing right between eyes and both eyes are puffy and weeping.  Worried about loss of vision and hearing....did this happen to your husband?  Trying to stay positive and hearing about amazing people like u and your husband really gives us hope.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi sorry to hear about your mum this is an awful cancer isn’t it Thank goodness she has you because while going through treatment they really need the support what has happened to your mum hasn’t happened to my husband but let’s hope the Radiotheraphy can help her with this additional tumour the treatment is amazing these days so I’m hoping for a good outcome for you hang in there look after yourself too because we are no good to them if we don’t keep well ourselves big hugs xxx 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Guys,, So a newby to this conversation. I'm 55yo Male in Australia, due for Rhinectomy next month now due to a SCC which has been removed, but traces have shown up in pathology. Waiting on conformation of date.

Mentally I am as prepared for this as I can be. I had BCC removed from nose 17 yrs ago via MOHS surgery and had extensive forehead flap reconstruction.

Apart form the obvious pain and medication questions, I'm more concerned about physical restrictions after surgery.

I work in construction so is dust an issue for rhinectomy patients. I feel this may be the end of my current job. I realise that gentle activity is ok, but bending and lifting etc. what are the restrictions after healing and prosthetic fitted.

I know most of these questions could n

be answered by my doctor, but would like to hear some personal experience. Cheers