OC with liver mets

• 14 replies
  • 67 subscribers

Hello, I am reaching out following my world being turned upside down, my husband had been feeling sick for about four weeks, with no help from the dr we went to a&e and 

discovered he has a 9cm tumour on his liver, he then had an endoscopy that showed a two centimetre tumour near the stomach, we have been told it’s advanced and without chemo he has months. This all started at the end of November. 

He can eat but the issue is feeling sick constantly, the weight is falling off him. We have our first oncology appointment this week. He struggles to do anything, an active man, gym five times a week, to sitting or lying down all day and sleeping.

would love to hear from similiar stories, as my hope is fading daily. MacMillan have been round and offered support. 

• Hi Blossom01 

How is your husband doing?

My husbands chemo will start on the 21st March it has been such a long wait.

Best wishes 

Angie

• Hi Angie

Still a bit of a wait but at least you finally have one, did you have an appointment and get anymore info. My husband had his third lot of chemo today we have not long got home as the IT system went down in the hospital. He has had four weeks since his last treatment and struggled the whole time with fatigue and stomach ache, on a positive the blood results today have shown they are doing something. His ALP, which is for his liver should be between 30-130 and his was 538 prior to chemo, it has dropped down to 296, so I am holding on to that in the hope that it is doing something. 

How is your husband feeling? There is nothing worse than the waiting

xx

• I think it is a long wait but finally we have a date, we just had the phone call today we went to see the oncologist last Tuesday which was awful he was so blunt and had no empathy at all, it made us feel like my husband was a statistic not a human being, he gave us no hope at all, but my daughter spoke to his Macmillan nurse on Friday and she was more positive and hopeful, told us chemo has wonderful results and new trials are coming out all the time. 

It sounds like the chemo is working for your husband even though he is having a hard time.

My husband has good and bad days, he gets tired and a few times lately has had trouble keeping food down which is why we are eager for chemo to start but it's just a waiting game all the time.

Take care 

Angie xx

• Oh bless your heart. I think the issue is they do this every day and it's the norm for them, but for us it's everything. Just try stay positive. Did they give a prognosis, again we were given three months, but I think like you say it's statistics.  I take each day as it comes and from the bloods can see its doing something. It's difficult keeping my husband positive because he is so exhausted and wants to stop after this one if he is as bad as the last one. That's the hardest part. My husband just has no appetite no issue with eating or keeping it down he just does not fancy it. He manages the fortisip shakes at the start of chemo just to give him the nutrients he needs, and I buy him cakes as he now has a sweet tooth. Also, hard boiled sweets he enjoys xx