Surgery for esophageal cancer

• 20 replies
  • 65 subscribers

Hi.my husband is going in for surgery tomorrow. We are so scared as they take the esophagus out and stretch the stomach up to attach it to what's left. He is feeling very low and anxious. I dont know how to help him. Has anyone had this surgery?

• Hi I had the exact thing March 21. Will be in hospital approx 10 to 14 days. I came out exactly 14 days after operation. Spent next few month recovering. Worked on eating and diet and srarting getting fit by walking and swimming bit by bit. August I went back to work full time. Its been almost 16 months since operation and I'm still doing brilliant. Things are really good now with the operation and often go really well. If you're at the point of operation it's because they expect it's going to work otherwise they wouldn't put you through it. Wishing you all the best. Take care Dave. 

• Any other questions please ask. 

• Hi Dave, thanks for the heads up, I’ve got my operation next Tuesday and I’m trying to prepare myself by reading as much as I can about the op and peoples’ experience afterwards. Did you have much pain after and if so whereabouts did you have the most pain? Thank you 

• They managed the pain really well so can only say it was discomfort at times. Around operation site. I found it best moving yourself in bed to start with rather than letting them drag you about. 

• Thank you Dave, I think I should stop reading so much about other peoples’ experiences! 

• Hi again, that sounded a bit contradictory sorry! I meant your words have reassured me as I’ve read a few where people had a lot of pain around rib area and round their back. I guess everyone is different anyway so I’ll just have to wait and see

• Thankyou Dave.he has just gone down for operation this morning. Fingers crossed

• Just so you know I was down about 9 hours. It can be a long wait for you. 

• Just had the call.all went well.have to ring our tonight for update and to see if I can go see him tomorrow. Fingers crossed I can. Thankyou for your support.you have been very helpful Dave. Wow 9 hours for you.he was 6.worst 6 hours of my life.still feel sick

• It's over now and hopefully start recovery. You've done well it's so much harder for the partner not going through it just waiting. A day or so they'll start physio with him. Work on his breathing exercises. 2 to 4 days maybe out of bed and small walks. He will slowly get sips of water then eventually soft food. More exercises and further walks around the wards. If all goes well back home anywhere between 9 to 14 days from operation. It all depends on individual.