Surgery for esophageal cancer

• 20 replies
  • 65 subscribers

Hi.my husband is going in for surgery tomorrow. We are so scared as they take the esophagus out and stretch the stomach up to attach it to what's left. He is feeling very low and anxious. I dont know how to help him. Has anyone had this surgery?

• Oh Dave.things have taken a turn. When they woke him he became agitated and ripped all his tubes out from his lung throat and neck and his catheter and he tried to leave ward.he also attacked someone which is so not like him.now they have had to sedate him again and are going to do a scan to see if he done any damage.i so hope not

• I was similar, I thought they were trying to sell my body parts and I ripped all mine out and was trying to go home. It was the morphine which played tricks on me. Had to come off it. Its like having a real bad nightmare but you're awake. Luckily I didn't do any damage. Hopefully he will be OK. 

• Hi Rodders

Just catching up with the posts here, how is your husband now? How are you?

Lowe'

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!
  • Hi thanks for your thoughts.hes not good.has to go on dialysis possibly today because hes kidneys are damaged and has pneumonia.they cant get his temperature down so taking him for ICT scan. Hes still under sedation. I just hope he wakes up from this.

• Thinking of you both at this difficult time.  

There are no real words I can offer other than to say, remember to take care of you whilst all this is going on, your strength matters.

Lowe'

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!
  • Hi just seeing how things are going. Hopefully improving for you as I know you're having a hard time of it. All the best, Dave. 

• Well my husband has severe pneumonia now and on dialysis for kidneys.he is still not awake yet. It is such a scary time for the kids and I.

• He has been sedated for 9 days now.

• I know it's real scary but the body can recover better sometimes when sleeping. I know it's hard and people say it alot but try and keep positive. You can be sure he's getting the best treatment possible. We're fortunate to have one of the best NHS in the world with some of the best doctors and nurses. 

• Hi Dave, sorry I haven’t replied but was having my surgery. I’ve put a separate post on regarding it, - thank you for asking how I’m doing. Glad it’s done, another box ticked, - how are you?