Scanxiety

• 36 replies
  • 73 subscribers

Hi New to all this. Diagnosed with suspected tumor after endoscopy 19 March This was confirmed after a CT scan on 1st April.Since then I have had a PET Scan on 13 April and a second Endoscopy on 27th April I spoke to a doctor on 11th April but still have not seen a consultant or been informed of any treatment plan I am really struggling with stress and anxiety about the future I was told at the last endoscopy that I have a 6cm tumor at 30cms which sounds large to me. All I read is that early diagnosis and treatment is paramount but it is now 7 weeks since my first diagnosis. My sister in law, a breast cancer sufferer, coined the phrase Scanxiety. I am really suffering from that!

• I hope you are over the sickness Steve? My hubby Dave is still getting the tingly and cold sensitivity and very tired like you but the nausea is not too bad. He has 12 pills a day - 4 large and 2 small - morning and night. Meal time is no longer the joy it was, that is for sure. He isn’t getting the immunotherapy but is getting trastazumab because his tumour was HER2 positive. We are in a cold part of Australia and with winter upon us it is below zero in the mornings. So no shorts here but I can imagine how puzzled your neighbours are! Dave is finding that he is more irritable than usual although he is still a jovial character. I look forward to hearing news from your journey - keep up the good work. Lisa

• Hi Lisa Thanks for the reply. Nausea and waking headache seem to have disappeared for this round hopefully. My wife picked up on the irritability, don't know what she means. Must try harder! Would be lost without her support. Have a good weekend x

• Cycle 2 started yesterday. Reaction was more than the previous one. Ended the treatment with severe lower back pain, but they administered more steroids and antihistamine on the spot which sorted it. Again have the tunnel vision thing but oncologist is not too concerned as it only lasted a couple of days last time. Just very tired at the moment but again this improved last time after about 3/4 days so here’s hoping.

• Fingers crossed that you start improving from now on. The only thing you can do is take it easy especially with the tiredness. I am not on any treatment at the moment but I still have to have a nap most days! I have a meeting with the oncologist on Monday to see what they can do next. Feeling pretty well at the moment so just trying to make the most of every day. Best of luck with it all! 

• Thanks Nan Definitely resting this time round, got a bit carried away last time and it bit me on the bum after a couple of days. It's a bit of a steep learning curve! All is improving here. Best of luck for Monday 

• Now into day two of cycle 3 Thanks to an intravenous anti sickness drug I am feeling much better than last time. Just the normal tingling extremities if they get cold or I touch anything cold. I know this goes off after 5 days or so. Took a call from my brilliant oncologist yesterday, scan date 8th August Scanxiety beckons!! But all in all he seemed pleased with progress. One disappointment was that my 4 chemo cycles could be extended to 6 or 8 but not confirmed yet. I originally thought that I would just be on the Immuno after the next cycle. I guess the scan results will determine any change of plan. So hopefully cycle 3 continues as is and I hope all of you are doing as well as can be expected. Keep positive and trust your team!

• That seems really positive Steve. I have a scan in a couple of weeks time and then they will decide on treatment. I’m enjoying feeling pretty well at the moment and we are getting out and about. I have my down days obviously-none of this is easy is it? 

• Hi SteveG22

My partner, is on the same treatment as you. He felt fine the day he came home but the nausea set in day 2 as well as the tingling and sensitivity to cold. The best thing was that he was able to eat by day 3 and had beans on toast with cheese and cottage pie. His diet was liquid beforehand. It is nice that you share your story because it really helps with what to expect next. I hope your treatment goes well and you are ok. 

• I consider myself as I have had no eating problems Worth mentioning nausea to the team as after I mentioned it I was given the anti sickness bag along side the chemo. So far it is working I feel so much better than last time when nausea lasted the first 10 days. Good luck to your partner, make sure you keep him positive, it really works!

• Hi Steve

• I think staying positive is the only thing you can do. After his first round, when we could eat together, we both almost forgot he was ill, which was so nice. My partner like you had the one distant lymph node, making him inoperable,so your story is very similar. He starts round two 1st week in August.