Scanxiety

• 36 replies
  • 71 subscribers

Hi New to all this. Diagnosed with suspected tumor after endoscopy 19 March This was confirmed after a CT scan on 1st April.Since then I have had a PET Scan on 13 April and a second Endoscopy on 27th April I spoke to a doctor on 11th April but still have not seen a consultant or been informed of any treatment plan I am really struggling with stress and anxiety about the future I was told at the last endoscopy that I have a 6cm tumor at 30cms which sounds large to me. All I read is that early diagnosis and treatment is paramount but it is now 7 weeks since my first diagnosis. My sister in law, a breast cancer sufferer, coined the phrase Scanxiety. I am really suffering from that!

• I’m pleased you have a start date for your treatment and it seems the hospital are really doing their best for you. Thank you for updating as I’ve seen you are around 3 months post diagnosis to treatment starting that helps to know. That’s making me less panicky about not knowing my treatment plan.
    It’s really scary knowing you are going to be ill soon. Got to be brave and trust the doctors. Good luck with your treatment! 

• Hi Steve

Just wanted to drop by and offer my support and hope that treatment starts as planned tomorrow. Palliative Care is a combination of words that scared me stupid, but my husband has been on targeted therapy for two years now, every 2 weeks using an immuno treatment and he is doing very well. 

sending you strength and best of luck

Lowe'

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!
  • Thankyou so much for your message. I have got over the shock of the palliative word and am now back to feeling positive about the future. It helps so much to recieve positive stories and I wish you and your husband all the best for the future. Thanks again Steve

• I am so glad you are starting treatment at last. I have been feeling pretty well and even escaped to our caravan for a few days. I have had a good time but I still feel that I am carrying around this heavy weight on my shoulders. I have a hospital meeting on Thursday where they are going to tell me what the next steps are. My worry is that they have given up on me -your story has given me a bit of hope! I had to have a stent fitted and that is pretty life changing in terms of what you can eat. Also it is quite painful at times so forgetting that I have this horrible disease is difficult. 
    Sorry. I am really moaning now!! I am lucky to have fantastic support from my family and friends but I am only 62 and pretty fit before all of this. It’s hard to take it all in some days!! 
    Best wishes Steve and keep us updated on how things are going. 

• Thanks Nan Hopefully update tomorrow. Very anxious but like you I have good family support

• Well the journey has started. Attended the Sir Robert Ogden MacMillan Centre in Northallerton yesterday, amazing place and lovely staff. My treatment is 4 cycles of Oxaliplatin/ Capecitabine alongside up to 35 cycles of Pembrolizomab ( immunotherapy) Visit the centre every 3 weeks. Yesterday took about 3 hours and was sent home with 14 days of pills back for round 2 on the 29th which follows a phone call from my oncologist on the 27th. I have to say I am shocked by how well I feel. No nausea and very minor side effects - slight tingling in my fingers if I touch anything cold and also in my throat if my drink/ food is too cold, you learn fast! I also have a slight blurring of my eyesight now and again but this is wearing off. All in all far less scary than expected, early days but I feel really good. Hope this helps anybody approaching this stage 

• Hi Steve. So glad that you have started treatment and that you are keeping well. I had my meeting with my consultant today and he was clearly shocked at how well I looked! He didn’t expect me to survive the infection I had and now he has decided to refer me back to the cancer hospital as he thinks I am strong enough for treatment! This made me feel so much more positive! I know I still have a hard journey ahead but at least they are going to try something to buy me some more time! Got a meeting with the dietician tomorrow- eating quite well but the stent means choices are limited and I hope she has some more ideas. Feeling well at the moment so making the most of things. 

• Good news Nan We must be made of tough stuff. Here's to some more good news x

• Hi Steve, you started exactly the same time as my hubby, with very similar experiences. Good luck with your journey. Hugs, Lisa

• Hi Lilla Hope all is still well End of the first week and still OK. The honeymoon period ended with a bang on Sunday Sickness and tiredness arrived with a vengeance. Since then all has started to improve and today I feel pretty good Only another 56 pills left this cycle!! Only lasting effect is the Prickly finger ends but have been sat outside in the sunshine in my shorts but with gloves on. It amuses the neighbours. Keep going, Steve