Oesophageal Cancer after Laryngectomy

• 26 replies
  • 68 subscribers

Hi

I am not sure yet what is happening however from my latest scan after 12 months having a Larangectomy-removal of voicebox- and getting along fine, working and everything my Consultant has phoned to say something suspicious in my food pipe, asked if I have swallowing problems but none worse than before- Laryngectomies have swallowing problems at times anyway, I am awaiting an appointment for the dreaded camera however luckily I can't choke ! My question is are there anyone else on this thread who have the same problem and if so what treatment did they go for ?

Thanks all

• Hello Kasvin

Sorry that I am unable to offer any thoughts or experience on what you are going through, but I didn't want your post to be missed or left unanswered.

Hopefully, someone will soon come along who may have some words which are useful.  I suppose until you know exactly what it is they are looking at, it will be hard to offer much advise, but if the appointment for the camera is soon, then that at least will ensure your mind is put at ease, sooner rather than later.

Wishing you all the best

Lowe'

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!
  • Thanks Lowe, I am a bit premature with the question, but you know what it's like ! brain running overdrive, I have read some things that I never did prior to my op as that happened so quick in lockdown but the consultant was so convincing regards Radiotherapy risks so I am now very adverse to having it due to the possible damage to tissue around the stoma area and voice prothesis, I have read on other forums that Chemo reduces the problem for swallowing possibly for a short while anyway-upto a year- anyway thankyou so much for your support

Community Champion Badge

We will move mountains to help people with cancer live life as fully as they can.
    We'll do whatever it takes. For information, support or just someone to talk to,

call 0808 808 00 00 or visit www.macmillan.org.uk

Onwards and UpwardsWink Laryngectomy and OC survivor 

Lead Volunteer for Hampshire MacMillan Buddy Service

• In fairness, although my husband has not had radiotherapy, I am not convinced with it as an initial treatment, but that is a personal thing based on others experience.

My husband has been on chemo, fortnightly for over a year, and doing well, so hopefully should you choose that root if appropriate you will also have great results

Good Luck

Lowe'

• THANKS you don't know how much that means to me, RT just frightens me I got as far as the mask fitting etc, got a chest infection from the absolute freezing room so to me it would be last resort, just waiting now for the appointment so most likely as I ahve my normal appointment with my Consultant on Tuesday I can ask more questions

Thanks

Community Champion Badge

We will move mountains to help people with cancer live life as fully as they can.
    We'll do whatever it takes. For information, support or just someone to talk to,

• Hi Kasvin

How did your appointment go?

Lowe'

• Hi Lowe

Thanks for asking, I saw the Registrar and he put the camera down Food and Breathing, the suspect area in the food he considers could be a calcium markings and NOT cancer so as the Oncomogy haven't yet arranged the endoscopy he will try and arrange for my ENT to do it to make sure it isn't. The other good thing is it isn't in my neck area but at the bottom so any treatment would hopefully not effect my Larangectomy

Also the wonderful MacMillan Speach Therapist has given me hands free speach to start practicing probrably to keep my mind of it !

Thanks, Tony

Community Champion Badge

• Just had the bad news that I do have cancer, I am seeing all the team on Thursday for full discussion but my Consultant says it will be Chemo/RT, they will do a PET scan as well

On a great point she says it's very treatable and in very early stage as it was picked up on a routine scan and then the follow-ons were extreemly quick. The other was that had I had RT after my Laryngectomy surgery then my options would of been very different, so took it on the chin and see what happens-probrably miss the Fosters the most !!

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Kasvin

Sorry to read this regarding the cancer, but the positive news is really exciting! 

How did the meeting with the team go today?

My husband has now been able to have a couple of beers every now and again, so maybe the Fosters will taste great for you when the time is right Beer

Lowe'

• Thanks Lowe', Unfortunately everything was cancelled just as we wre about to leave, the matter has passed to s different team so I have to have the scan first then a meeting regarding the treatment so life on hold again.
    The head and neck nurses will continue to support me so will now have 2 sets of consultants. Should have the scan withing the next 2weeks hopefully-onward and upwards.

Community Champion Badge

• Oh Kasvin Disappointed

It's the waiting isn't it that taps away at us... I do hope that the scan date is quick and you can move on with treatment 

Thank you for keeping me informed, thinking of you. 

Lowe'