Husband newly told

• 5 replies
  • 63 subscribers

Waiting to hear results of ct scan with contrast was done last Friday was told on the 6 th at a endoscopy appointment  he had a malignant tumour of 8 cms worried sick in case it’s spread anywhere he is looking ill and losing weight at a fast rate don’t know what will happen anybody else had to wait long for the treatment suggestions we are going crazy with wondering what will happen next xx

• Hi. My hubby was told at the start of August after he had endoscopy and waited for a  CT scan  the results took  approx 10 days  and then he had the PET scan  on 2nd September which looks for any cancer cells anywhere in his body he waited about 1 week for those results  .  Hubby  was loosing around 11lb a week  and in total had lost 6 stone ( he was overweight to begin with) he couldn't keep anything down even the  drink supliments that the hospital gave him and he  ended up having the feeding tube put in .he spent 10 days in hospital .and is now back at home managing his feeding well and has even put on 7lb since being home .   He starts his chemo on 2nd of October xx   

There is no harm in chasing up the ressult if you have been waiting more than 1 week . We found the waiting was the absolute worst part .  Will keep my fingers crossed for you xx 

I'm here for a chat anytime x 

Jo

• Ty yes agree the waiting around doing nothing is so bad when he went for his endoscopy they took 6 biopsies and told him there and then it was a malignant tumour which I was shocked with as of course was he but I also feel awful that he was told that news by himself then had to on a bus home as neither of us drive he was also told I couldn’t go with him to the appointment due to covid. I’m hoping that’s not the case when we actually do have his appointment. I’m so happy to hear ur husband has put a little weight back on and I really wish u both well wishes for his upcoming chemotherapy and fingers crossed u both get the right result in the end xx take care xx

• Hello Sully69

Welcome to the forum and thank you for reaching out here during such a difficult time for your husband and you.

I am sorry that you have learnt that your husband has been diagnosed with a malignant tumour after an endoscopy appointment a few weeks ago. 

I have also read you 2nd post where you talk about your husband being alone when he was told of the diagnosis, this was the same with my husband, and I understand how you are feeling not being with him and not being allowed to attend appointments, 16 months on I have still not attended any  in-hospital appointments with him, but i have been involved in the phone consultations with the oncologist and that is something that I take comfort in. 

In timelines, my husband was fortunate in so much as from the point of diagnosis to treatment was 17 days, but this was due to being rushed to A&E in extreme pain, late on Monday evening, they could not work out what the problem was or where the pain was coming from, to cause the feelings in his chest and back.  He was given an endoscopy on the Tuesday where a tumour was found and a biopsy was taken, he was then given a CT scan that same afternoon. initially on his own they told him that he had OC but they believed that he had caught the tumour in time.  

The CT images and biopsies were sent off and a week later we were called to the car park of the hospital  to be told that he had secondaries in liver and lungs.  The reason we were called to the car park was he had also been diagnosed as covid positive on the Wednesday when he was due to leave hospital, so when they received the results the following week, he was not allowed in the hospital.  As horrible as that sounds, if he had have been allowed in the hospital, I would not have been allowed to stand with him, as he was told the devastating news. 

The following day, we were called by an Oncologist who advised of the spread to the lymph nodes.  Chemo started the following week, fortnightly for 5 sessions, they then switched him to targeted/immuno therapy at session 6 and he has been on that treatment  on going except for a two week break at Christmas and a change in his treatment date, which would have been this Friday which is now not going ahead, because of what they believe is a lung infection. 

It is scary, it is a nightmare waiting for the MD Team to meet and discuss best treatment but hopefully, very soon they will have a plan of action to provide treatment for your husband and he will begin his journey, and hopefully they have caught it in time for him. 

Be as positive as you can be, make full fat smoothies to help your husband regain weight if he can manage them.  Baby steps whilst waiting are better than no steps.. 

Good Luck

Lowe'

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!
  • Ty for ur words makes me feel not so guilty of him being alone getting told. Sounds like U both have had a long bumpy road with more to come. I’m scared it has spread the pit of my stomach tells me that just hope I’m wrong hopefully they will be in touch sooner rather than later with treatment options I don’t know about ur husband but mines so stubborn and private so know it’s a tough road ahead for him but know he will still not be truthful about how bad he feels bless him xxx hope u both get some good news soon take care xx

• fingers crossed for both of us that things will turn out positively in the end. 

Thankfully I can coerce my husband into talking about what he is going through and we make all decisions together. Slight smile

Look after yourself too, it's important that you do. 

Lowe'

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!