Recovery advice for Stomach and Oesophagus Operation

• 18 replies
  • 51 subscribers

Hi all,

Just a quick post about the operation which I have coming up on Wednesday the 28th to remove 1/3 stomach and part of my esophagus I am set to have the Robotic procedure which I am grateful for as I was set to have open surgery before but enquired about the robotic procedure and to my luck I was able to go for this option. 

I am after any advice anyone can give in regards to what to expect waking up and in terms of recovery. The surgeon give me a brief talk on what to expect but I’m seeking further advice from people who have gone through it. I am rather nervous for the operation incase it goes wrong in anyway. 

Thankfully chemotherapy wasn’t to bad for myself, I had 4 rounds of FLOT at 100% (1 drug was at 75% for 1 round to counter a high liver function test). The surgeon went over my latest scan and can’t see any issues but won’t know until he’s ’opened me up’ as he says. Original diagnosis was T1/N0/M0 but after a EUS it was restaged too T2/N0/M0 which I am extremely lucky to find this nasty disease so early. 

Any tips for recovery would be amazing, I am only 29 so I have age on my side and I’m generally fit and healthy apart from this nasty bugger sat at the junction of my osephagus! The surgeon said he expects me to be back at 80% by the 3 month mark and currently I won’t have to have a JEJ feeding tube unless deemed necessary.

Many thanks,

Rich. 

• Excellent news. Onwards and upwards from now. Take care. Julie 

• Thanks again all for the reply’s! I am still currently in ICU on day 8. Things took a turn for the worst when the epidural wouldn’t work! From my understanding the doctors count on the Epidural working, I was tried twice after coming round for a epidural and neither times did they work, so pain management has been horrendous for me and almost unbearable. I ended up on an awful lot of medication including Ketamine and Morphine. (That was a wild ride in itself, I had a dream I tucked a lasagna into bed Rofl any many more!). Now I am settled on a high dose of morphine alongside 300mg Gabapentin 3x a day and another pain relief medication I can’t remember the name of.

I had a lot of fluid on my left lung which wasn’t draining so they had to put in another drain which caused nothing but pain and uncomfort. Once this drain was installed there was around 1.5litres of fluid that come out which was stopping my lung from fully inflating, that is now resolved and came out today along with my central line and catheter!

Eating wise I’m doing considerably well, I’m on the ‘Slop’ diet as they call it but managing quite a lot of fluids and food considering. 

I do believe my recovery has been pretty slow due too the lack of sleep I’ve had on this crazy ICU ward, the hospital is that busy they haven’t been able to find me a bed in ECU till now which I am rather grateful to be moving wards. 

I had a lap around the Ward in aid of a walking frame and today I’ve been up and about but very wobbly. 

Progress has been slow I think in regards to getting over the hump which i think has happened today so im hoping from here on out things go plain sailing and I’ll be aloud home the beginning of next week.

Looking forward to getting home for some proper rest with home comforts and some home made foods! 

Many thanks, 

Rich

• I bet your missus is already in the kitchen making you fresh lasagna mate! Joy

• Hi Rich 

Such  a shame the epidural didn’t work for you but glad to hear they got on top of your pain eventually. My husband spent the whole of his 8 day hospital stay in his own room in the Critical care unit at the Salford Riyal as there weren’t any beds available on the ward but he didn’t mind as it was quiet and he had his own bathroom and tv so he was quite happy. 

Hope you manage to sleep and rest more.
    Remember this time will pass and you’ll be home soon . 

Wishing you an uncomplicated recovery 

regards J 

• Finally out after 13 days, turns out I had caught pneumonia from theatre which didn’t aid recovery one single bit. I had spent 8 days in ICU without an ounce of sleep, that place is wild! Further 2 days on a ECU ward which was much better then I was moved to a normal ward which wasn’t the most pleasant. So to say I am now home is a complete relief where I can recover/rest properly. 

My breathing feels extremely compromised as to what it was before, easily out of breath and can’t fully take a breath in without coughing I presume this is due to the pneumonia, should be cleared up soon with further antibiotics. 

Eating is actually quite well, my wife had slow cooked a chicken curry for me and that went down really well. It feels nice having food outside of the usual hospital grub they serve which isn’t amazing! I am swallowing air when I swallow my food which I think is down too the compromised breathing and if I don’t get that air up before taking my next mouthful it seems to cause abit of a problem in regards to indigestion feeling. It’s all a learning curve but I am happy with the progress. 

The MacMillan nurse visited me yesterday before I was discharged and mentioned I might not need chemotherapy if my histology is good, but this makes me feel un easy as id rather opt for some chemotherapy to mop up anything if there is anything. 

Many thanks, 

Rich. 

• rich been following your journey, thank you for sharing, see my oncologist next week, found out allegedly that the op is too high risk for me and due to a masectomy not even a year ago, makes the surgery difficult, so chemo/radiotherapy route, got my new list ready, think they are talking a food line, dreading getting that, but understand why, as per your experience, i had a small stay in hospital last year after a seizure after chemo, hence was terrified of going in for longer.  glad you are home, that will make such a big difference, looking forward to being to eat without bringing it back and getting some weight on.  all the best for your recovery, keep us updated, was a really honest isight,  all the best jules

• Hi Rich,

I think you’re probably right to opt for post-op chemo if you can. My histology was good also but I was offered a further 4 rounds of FLOT. I ended up only having 3 as my body had just had enough by then. You seem to be doing really well with your eating. I presume they didn’t put a JEJ tube in then? Lucky you if you can manage without one. Like you, I was so happy to get home after my 16 nights in hospital. That’s when your recovery really starts but, as I’m sure they have warned you, it will be slow. You do have age on your side however. Kerr we p well, CB

• Hi Rich 

Great to hear you’re home now and I’m sure your recovery will improve now you’re in your own environment .
    Sorry to hear about the pneumonia, Lung issues can occur for some people immediately after this type of surgery. I’m sure given time (and the antibiotics)  your breathing will improve .My husband didn’t develop pneumonia but he did experience shortness of breath for several weeks afterwards .He came home with a lung strengthening device ( incentive spirometer) which he used several times a day and he found it helped .

My husband’s OC was initially staged at T3 N1 M0 which was reassessed at T2 N0 M0 after surgery . He had two out of the scheduled four FLOT adjuvant chemo cycles which started around eight weeks after his surgery , both at 100% strength  .He felt he couldn’t do anymore after he developed a particularly nasty chest infection after the second cycle , but he’s happy he had the two and his oncologist told him  those two cycles would go a long way in reducing the risk of a recurrence as the first two stages went well .
    I’m sure at your post op appointments your surgeon and oncologist will discuss your options regarding the adjuvant chemo and then you can make your decision. 

Best wishes  J