Oesophageal dilation/ throat stretching

• 7 replies
  • 48 subscribers

Hi. I'm visiting from the Head & Neck forum asking for advice please.

Has anyone any experience of having their throat dilated post treatment?

I was referred from ENT to gastro and had a flexible endoscopy with my throat stretched with a balloon from a 'tight stricture' to 9mm under sedation.

They referred me back to ENT and I've been offered a rigid oesophagoscopy under general anesthesia to take me up to around 25mm in one go. 

I have been told that scar tissue could form and I could end up worse than when I started although the procedure does have a good success rate.

I still have taste issues and dry mouth from chemo radiation which wouldn't be improved with the dilation. 

I appreciate any advice. I've updated my profile with the details of my journey so far.

Thanks 

Liz x

• Hi Puny Goose

Welcome,  thanks for visiting us, sorry that I am unable to offer any advice, though I do think there may be one of two people who may be able to offer some thoughts on their own experiences, hopefully you will get some further answers soon. 

I wish the very best with the procedure and the future. 

Lowe'

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!
  • Thanks for the reply Lowe. All the best to you and your husband x

• HI Liz

My partner has had this done roughly 8 times so far, its helps for a week or so then seems to close over again.

I hope you got sorted as this is a late response

• Sorry, I’ve only just seen this - my husband has had quite a few dilations done.  He had an oesophagectomy in 2009 and he was fine for years but then a stricture developed at the scarring and caused a bit of a problem.

After scans and biopsies (clear) he had several dilations that worked for a while but every time the consultant insisted that the stretch was minimal to ensure there was no tear or damage to the scarring. Eventually, after more biopsies, his original consultant said that one of his medications (iron tablets) could have been the cause and to stop taking them - problem solved, he’s been fine since.

Your situation is obviously very different and you’ve been through a lot already, your positivity is infectious so I hope this helps a bit - I would just check that such a major dilation is safe and how long it will last.

Good luck x

• Hi Samantha, thanks for your reply. I'm not being rushed into making a decision and I'm doing well at the moment so think I will decline the procedure. Thanks for sharing your experience and all the best to you and your partner 

• Thanks for the reply. That's interesting about the iron tablets. I had been taking iron and collagen supplements to help my recovery and help grow my hair back after treatment and have stopped in case that was adding to the formation of scar tissue. 

Good to hear your husband is doing so well. Thanks for sharing, it has really helped. All the best to you both x

• We were really surprised about the iron tablets but it made sense and stopping them worked. 

I hope you continue to do well, we started off in a dreadful place and here we are years later enjoying every day we have.

Best wishes x