CLINICAL TRIAL

• 3 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Hi everyone,

Has anybody been offered a clinical trial after 6 cycles of chemo if you are not suitable for immunotherapy.

I just want to see what is available after chemo.

My husband has just completed cycle 3 of chemo.

Surely if you can't have immunotherapy there is something else after chemo other then monitoring Pray

I will not give up hope Pray 

• Hello A1972

I hope you don't mind me replaying as I had a different type of cancer to your husband. Hopefully by responding someone who has undergone different treatments will see it and offer some more specific support.

I am sorry to hear that your husband has been having to go through chemo for his cancer. How is he coping with the chemo? I had chemo myself and it is not easy at times. How are you coping, I know that it is not easy to watch someone go through treatment.

I will pop a link to some info about treatments and maybe you can have a look and then discuss with your husband/doctors to work out a plan for what could happen next. Maybe also ask about whether there are any suitable clinical trials that your husband could be referred to.

Treatment for oesophageal cancer | Macmillan Cancer Support

If you want any further information or support, I can recommend giving the Support Line a call and talking things through with one of the nurses.

I wish your husband well with his treatment and if there is anything else you need, then please do ask.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Jane,

Cycle 1 and the beginning of Cycle 2 were really rough for my husband, Cycle 3 has been more manageable for him. Its the pins and needles in his hands and feet that drive him mad.

It was horrible to see him go through the 1st cycle and very upsetting but you have to stay strong and positive.

I read your blog and am pleased you are doing so well.

Thanks for the link I am always looking for clinical trials.

Take care

Angie

• Hi Angie

The pins and needles is where the chemo is effecting the nerves. With me it caused them to adjust the dose so it is something to mention to the doctors. Massaging can help and keeping hands and feet warm helps me. I also got some soft balls with spikes on that you squeeze- like the ones people have for arthritis- they helped- I figured anything that gets the bloods pumping to the area affected would help. I also got a roller type for my feet- but that wasn't so effective- worth a try though. Hot and cold packs/alternately can sometimes help ease it a bit. It does feel unpleasant though

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm