What foods to eat

• 2 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Hi everyone, my father has been  diagnosed with oesphagal cancer and is having immunotherapy and chemo tablets. He has vomiting and diarrhoea everyday, so is wary about what to eat. Certain foods get stuck so he isn't sure what to eat.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

ElectraAngel711

• Hello,

I would suggest very soft foods. Nothing hard or round shaped as these get stuck more easily. Mash potatoes, cauliflower- mashed, cottage pies, fish pies anything sloppy. Wotsits are also good as these dissolve on the tongue. Crackers and cheese are also good. Custards, rice puddings. Unfortunately it's a trial and error as we try and buy different things to see how it goes. My father has oesophagus cancer and the tumour is blocking quite alot of his wind pipe so we been trying all sorts. Fortisip shakes from your doctor's is also good as full of nutrients. 

Hope this helps and feel free to reach out if you want anymore advice Blush

Kayleigh x

• Hi ElectraAngel711, 

Thank you for finding the courage to reach out here, you are very welcome, although I am sure you would prefer not to have ever had to ask the question, it is great to know that you have found us, and I hope that you find support in the forum. 

Firstly I am sorry to learn of your Dad's diagnosis, and that he is experiencing vomiting and diarrhoea daily, has this been reported back to his cancer nurse? it really is important that this is looked into and steps are taken to avoid dehydration and for the MDT to decide if the current treatment is being effective with the side effects involved. 

Foods are different from one person to another, it will depend on the tumour size, the level of ability to swallow and also to keep that food down, mainly as already mentioned, soft food is easier, adding cream or full fat milk to help maintain weight, adding butter or grated cheese to a mash, (if dietary requirements allow) 

Cuppa soup, slow cooked meals to ensure all ingredients soften, for my husband I added collegan and supergreen powder supplement to his meals, including any smoothies that we made, as this assisted with maintaining his weight.. 

Have a word with the dietician or ask the chemo nurse to put you in touch with them, as they are able to give the best guidance

Lowe'

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!