Alcohol after Esophagectomy

• 4 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hello,

I had a tiny tumour T1 diagnosis with pre-cancerous cells surrounding it, which was removed successfully and did not need any chemo or radiotherapy. I was extremely lucky with the timing of the camera.

I’ve made a full recovery after a resection, lost about 17 pounds and have returned to a sort of normality, although everything overall is lower and lesser, for example my fitness and strength and I tire easily and sometimes get dumping syndrome and I need sugar tablets to help me when I get it.  I’m in my mid 70s.

I’ve started enjoying a few cans on the weekend and my question revolves around that. I’m having a difficult few weeks where I feel tired. Work is busy so maybe it is that, but ia the alcohol a contributing factor to tiredness after this op and to increasing dumping syndrome? 

i drink Saturday night and recently friday night as well.

what are your experiences with alcohol after this op and how does it make you feel long term drinking every weekend? 

• Tiredness is to be expected after a oesophagectomy - for some years in my case. I think I reverted to normal (for my age) after about 3 years.  
    I never felt any adverse effects from alcohol (other than what might be expected!). I’m 73, almost 10 years post surgery.

Due to some medication that I take I am now limited to one alcoholic drink a day, so I drink zero alcohol beer, which is OKish. I haven’t found a good zero gin though.

Counting the days, making every day count.

Brent

• Hi Dyl001.  I’m 55 and had my operation in June 2022. I’ve always been a social and weekend drinker and still do so now but I find if I’ve had 2-3 bottles of cider (which I always wait to go flat first), it affects my eating for a few days after as i can’t eat as much or it will come back up again. It affects me the top end with too much of anything rather than the bottom end!  With regards to the tiredness, I’ve found that I always was more tired after alcohol even before my cancer as I think that’s the norm with how alcohol affects you.

on another note, do you or anybody else find eating cold snacks alot easier than hot meals?  Although my tea time portions are tiny now, I find it easier eating a sandwich or cheese and biscuits etc rather than a hot dinner? Can eat the same size portion such as a sandwich and bag of crisps but then have a tiny dinner.  Then 2 hours later I can easily demolish a large handful of nuts or around 10 toffees or sweets?! 

• Hi D.

I am 10yrs post diagnosis and after about 5 years have started to enjoy a bottle of red every second Friday, to chill after a busy week at work. 

I recently visited Prague and indulged me self with their fab, yet inexpensive pilsner lagar and found I just had a normal hang over, lol. Don't think I would have coped with alcohol for the first 2 to 3 years recovery and If  did consume more than a few, then boy did I pay for it with acid reflux big style.

You will know yourself, what you should drink and how much. Tiredness from alcohol usually stems from having a poor quality of sleep as your body deals with the alcohol and any toxins produced so your body doesn't get a rest during sleep, post alcohol. 

Eddie. 

• Hi D.

I am 62 and 10yrs post diagnosis, T3N1M0. After about 5 years I have started to enjoy a bottle of red every second Friday, to chill after a busy week at work. 

I recently visited Prague and indulged me self with their fab, yet inexpensive pilsner lagar and found I just had a normal hang over, lol. Don't think I would have coped with alcohol for the first 2 to 3 years recovery and If  did consume more than a few, then boy did I pay for it with acid reflux big style.

You will know yourself, what you should drink and how much. Tiredness from alcohol usually stems from having a poor quality of sleep as your body deals with the alcohol and any toxins produced so your body doesn't really get a rest during sleep, post alcohol. 

Eddie.