2nd round of Chemotherapy tomorrow and still haven’t recovered from my 1st round

• 6 replies
  • 40 subscribers

I am starting my second round of Chemo tomorrow and dreading feeling worse. I still haven’t fully recovered from my first round.

i am on FLOT (fluorouracil, leucovorin, oxaliplatin, and docetaxel)

Do I need to prepare for the worst tomorrow? 

• For your first round you will have received 100%, your oncologist should have offered to reduce it to 80% this time to help with the side effects. When you check in tomorrow see if there is a doctor you can speak to. My husband started on 100% and it kicked his ass, when he dropped it to 80% he was great, had hardly any side effects. It’s definitely worth asking. Hope this helps. 

• This does help thank you. I literally lost 5 days after my first round FLOT. I am also considered young ( lol Joy) at 43 maybe that’s why they blasted me with 100%. 
    I still have severe pain tummy, if the pain doesn’t subside does that mean Chemo is not working. 

• Did you have a meeting before this round of treatment to see how you are doing? Your questions should all be answered by your Oncologist, and they should navigate you treatment dependent on what you are able to handle. 

This next comment is easy for me to say, and may not be easy for you to do, but please try to push aside the negative feelings, push through them as best you can, if the treatment makes you feel too low, then it will continue to do so and the experience, which is already extremely tough will get tougher....    everyone deals with treatment differently, and side effects are personal to each individual, my husband forces himself up and out of the chair when he has had treatment, he sets himself goals to achieve no matter how he is feeling, normally 3 things that he wants to get done... for him this seems to work (most of the time) it is just his mindset.  

It is hard to prepare for anything better than the worst, when you are already feeling so bad, I hope what you experience on the 2nd treatment is a lot less worse than you were expecting. 

Lowe;

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!
  • Hi Godwillbepraised

My first round of chemo also knocked me for 6 but after speaking to the oncologist they had it reduced to 80%  so the 2nd and 3rd rounds were mo manageable, the last round to it out of me but it’s worth it just to help get rid of this horrible disease 

I hope this helps

I am just waiting for surgery all booked in for 13th May apparently it’s an all day affair prior to this I’m having a filter put in an artery in my back to help filter out any blood clots as I suffered from a DVT earlier last year

I hope you can cope with your next  chemo I believe it get easier the further down the pathway you get you just have to except it’s going to happen

Best wishes

paly

• Your response was very helpful thank you. 
    I have a 16 month old daughter who keeps me on my toes. Loads to fight for.  Daily goals are important but the first few days after treatment I am wiped out. 
    I see mY oncologist on Friday so hopefully we can adjust my treatment slightly if need be. Thanks once againBlush

• May God give you strength Paly - you have got this.