Dad Stage 2-but seems worse

• 14 replies
  • 41 subscribers

Hi, I’m not sure where to start. I’ve never reached out to a forum before, I’m not even on Facebook!

Dad - 71 yrs was diagnosed stage 2 at the end of Feb & started chemo last Friday.  He had a stent put in in March as he could no longer swallow but this has made him worse.

Dad can’t have an esophagectomy as he wouldn’t survive, lung capacity is at 50% (due to COPD) nor radiotherapy (due to lungs & heart again wouldn’t survive) we’ve been told he’s terminal & chemo should shrink it & suggested that he has around 18 mths.

Anyway, as I said he is only stage 2 but seems terrible, the stent is agony, he’s still not eating, lying on his back means he can’t sleep, he’s in constant agony.

Chemo is causing peripheral neuropathy, sickness, & a low temp & the weight is dropping off him.

my question, we know that it’s not an aggressive cancer, (although this has got to stage 2 in under a year as he suffered from Barrett’s Oesophagus & underwent regular Halo treatments)is he’s just stage 2, he’s complaining and adamant it is in his bones (no evidence on PET scan) but he just seems to be fading away & we expected him to feel il but better than this, as he’s not in the final stages so to speak.

has anyone else been early on with this cancer & not improved at all even with chemo. & how quickly can it take them, (I understand it can be to do with mind set, but he does seem to be be trying & he’s had pinned our hopes on improvement rather than worsening).

Any response is more than welcome thanks for reading.

• That’s great news for you.  No he’s not having those inj, just immunotherapy (nivolumab) & chemo ( oxaliplatin) which I think it’s pretty standard,

• Thank you for this we have Spoken to his nurse & she’s going to discuss it. It would make sense as he’s still retching every day & has lost more weight. 
    he’s now down to 13st 11 (from 17st 3 on Xmas Eve when this all started)

Wishing you all our very best.

• Thank you for this reply, I know it’s really difficult, you expect it to be …but just don’t REALISE.

we called his nurse today because he’s vomiting black stuff (I presume it’s blood) so hopefully they’ll help him.

thank you so much for your response…we really appreciate it.

take care of yourself & we hope you continue to get better.

• Hi

You are very welcome we all try to help each other on here. Your poor dad is really going through it isn't he. I too have lost over 4 stone in weight so I know how you must feel about your dad especially as he is having difficulty eating.

I'm sure the nurses will find a way to help him as best they can.

Wish you both all the best and hope he can get better soon. There are always people on here that are willing to help especially the Macmillan experts.

Best wishes 

Dean