oesophagectomy tomorrow

• 74 replies
  • 48 subscribers

Evening all 

I have used this platform on numerous occasions throughout my dads journey with stage 3 oesophageal cancer and it has always been an immense comfort so figured it may help for this next stage. 

My dad is booked in for his oesophagectomy tomorrow & I am so worried about complications / what this is going to look like. He is 57, in great shape & has done wonderfully so far so I know he has a lot in his favour. But, never the less, saying goodbye to him yesterday has left me in immense worry of the “what ifs”. 

I’m not even sure what the risks are (and have avoided google at all costs), I just feel very in the unknown and not sure what to expect. 

anyone with any coping advise or words of encouragement / their experiences are so welcome. Thanks as always 

• Hi Pally.

The op went well yesterday but boy does it leave you sore. They removed the tumour and all the stomach then pulled up small bowel to meet oesophagus. Have an epidural in and having paracetamol and fore definitely need both.

Surgeon was pleased with the result so now have  a CT scan booked on Tuesday to see what's next

Thank you for your kind wishes

Dean

• Well done the fact your able to writing on here is a good sign so quickly after . 
    now time to focus on  getting stronger and keeping a strong mind you will do this goodluck and well done .  

• Thanks Mark b it's quite painful but nurses are on top of it and op went well , surgeon is pleased and now tumour and stomach are gone. Churchill Hospital in Oxford is superb they are all so nice

Thank you for your kind wishes

Dean

• Hi Dean,

So glad to hear that all went well yesterday. You were very much on my mind all day and the fact that you are still finding time to post encouragement to others on this forum is just phenomenal. I wish you the very very best for your recovery

• Hi Dean. That’s great and so pleased for you that it’s over. Very impressed that you’re able to respond so quickly after the operation. It took me a few days to switch my phone on. Best wishes, Julie
  • Hi ChristinaB

I . have just had my tumour and stomach removed yesterday and I'm 58 so age is on his side and here at the Churchill Hospital in Oxford they are brilliant with many talented surgeons and nurses. I'm sure wherever the op is done he will be very well taken care of so try not to worry 

Best wishes

Dean

• So pleased to hear things went well Dean I hope you continue to recover quickly .

Vonn

• Hi Cool Blue

To be honest I feel quite well so far and there is lots of spare time while I'm on the ward to send messages.

This hospital the Churchill in Oxford is fantastic and I know it's down to their fantastic staff from surgeons to nurses in fact everyone that my recovery has gone so well. They aim to get me home in about a week as long as CT scan goes ok tomorrow

Best wishes

Dean

• Hi dean im so glad to hear you’re doing well!! Can I ask …..?? …. After your first 4 rounds of chemo , you then have a pet scan …. My dads at this point and is due a phone call tomorrow - will they be telling him if it’s worked or not and he can have the operation or is this phone call going to be can you come in and see us on such a day? Xxxx 

Speedy recovery dean xxx 

• Hi Nic123

If he has had the Petscan then yes it will be one of the team to tell you if it's worked or not. They can't guarantee it will have worked so worst case scenario they will have to try something else or like in my case it worked quite well and the best news you could get is that it's all gone

I hope your dad gets a really good outcome but stay strong because if there is a way they will find it xx

Best wishes

Dean