Surgery after four round of FLOT

• 15 replies
  • 42 subscribers

Hi All

I am just after some people experiences of surgery for oesophageal junction cancer. I’ve just finished 4 rounds of FLOT and had a good response and amazingly that the cancer has gone completely from the PET-CT. My initial staging was T3N2M0. 

I’m now being transferred to the surgeons.  I keen to know more about other experiences of the surgery. I’m especially keen to hear about recovery experiences and how life is living with half a stomach. Is it bothersome or do you just get used to it? are there other things to consider around eating etc? Any tips for preparing for surgery?

thanks in advance. 

• Hi how you doing ? You are going through the process similar to me 3 years ago I got diagnosed in July 18 and had various scans and tests and started chemo 1st august , after my last dose I had a massive blood clot and knocked me back a bit but tumour finally removed jan 2nd 2018 , to wake up and be told the cancer was removed is a great feeling and worth everything . I am not the luckiest of people hence the blood clot and after I got home I found trouble eating certain foods half would go down and half back up , thankfully I had a peg tube and was fed overnight so I maintained my weight I had endoscopy after hospital admission for food stuck and was found to have scar tissue making the entrance to my stomach very tight ( only 2cms) so they stretched it a little every 6 weeks , had a total of 13 in the end which I believe is quite rare but don’t worry as didn’t know much about them , in the end I was grateful of them as I know they could have a good look and check for signs of it returning. I can now eat normal and back to pre cancer self , I hope this gives you some reassurance as you can get through this and as I always say onwards and upwards good luck with your surgery you will be in hands of some amazing skilled professionals x

• Thanks Jackie, it does reassure me. It’s good to know there are options for complications and most importantly that they are now an non issue. it’s funny how things we don’t want can turn out to be gifts after all. I’m really glad to hear eating is normal again for you now. That gives me hope! 

• Hi All, I just wanted to update and say thanks again for the advice and support.

I had the surgery last Friday, all went well and I came home yesterday. Feeling surprisingly good and it was so much better than I was expecting. Spent 4 nights in ITU. Doctors and nurses were amazing. I’m eating reasonably well and up and about. Still sore and fragile but thankfully no major issues. I have no pain and not on any pain relief since the chest drain came out a couple of days ago. Incredible how the body copes. 

• That’s fantastic news the worst is over good luck with your long term recovery 

• Great news! Wishing you a speedy and full recovery.

Anon613