My Mom Aged 75 Diagnosed with GBM Stage 4

• 1 reply
  • 22 subscribers

Hi All,

I am new here. My mom, aged 75, is diagnosed with GBM Stage 4.
She underwent surgery for partial removal of the tumor from her right frontal lobe.
The surgery was done about 2 months back and since then she is at home.
We have been taking her for regular Chemo and radiation sessions. Tomorrow is her last radiation session.
Frankly, things don't look good. Her condition is deteriorating very fast each day.
Unfortunately, people over the age of 70 don't have much time left. 

She has more than 20 medicines given to her daily in the morning and evening.

She feels miserable and unable to walk without support. We are feeding her with the help of a nurse.

I am truly sorry for anyone who has this unforgiving disease. 

• Hi Ravi,

Welcome to the group and so sorry to hear about your mum. I cared for my wife who had a GBM but she was a fair bit younger than your mum at 49 and managed just over 18 months after surgery.

There's lots of really useful information on the Macmillan site about different aspects of cancer so if you haven't already have a good browse and come back with any questions. I found it really helpful just reading through the threads in this group to see what others' experiences had been like. Although we are all looking after someone with, or suffer from, a GBM we all end up taking slightly different routes depending on how it progresses and local care provision.

When it comes to the practical and emotional challenges of supporting family and friends you may also benefit from joining our Carers only support group where you will connect with others navigating the same support challenges.

Hope some of this is useful and please do use this group to ask questions or just vent how you're feeling.

You're right this disease is unforgiving so do look after yourself because it's unbelievably hard watching a loved one go through this.

Sending love and a hug,

Chris

Community Champion Badge