Glioblastoma in Spain

• 2 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I've been spending some time going through your posts on here and just wanted to say how helpful its been to read your stories and learn from your experiences. I'm in a quite unusual situation myself and can't tell you how important its been to find this space and feel less alone. If there's one thing I've learnt over the past months its that we all search high and low for cases matching our own and they are not easy to find as everyone's experience is so different, so this is mine.

My partner is 36 years old, female and was diagnosed with Glioblastoma in June 2023, about 8 months after we met. We live in Spain and all treatment has been carried out there.

She had suffered a head injury some months earlier and had been experiencing headaches and occasional bleeding from the ears and nose. She was very late in getting this checked out and by the time she did the doctors found that not only did she have bleeding on the brain resulting from the injury, but also a tumour immediately adjacent to the damaged tissue. They decided to operate immediately as her blood pressure was at dangerous levels but as the tumour was imbedded in the damaged tissue they found they were unable to resect more than a small sample for biopsy. This was performed through the nose to avoid a craniotomy until they had a clearer diagnosis.

They very quickly diagnosed glioblastoma but since they had already seen that it was in and inoperable position and that radiotherapy would also be dangerous they decided to set her on a clinical trial which involved brachytherapy. From what I have seen, this is more commonly used in prostate cancer and involves the insertion of radioactive seeds around the tumour to blast it and the surrounding area. The theory is that the healthy cells will recover, the cancerous ones will not.

This was done in June and was clearly the "nuclear option" when all other treatments were impossible. Without this, they gave her no more than 3 months to live. It's become clear over the following months that the clinical trials team had little hope of any success and they have since admitted that the radioactive dose they gave her would have overpowered 2 heavyweight boxers (she is 56kg). Immediately following the operation she lost her memory entirely, though she vaguely remembered me she didn't remember her 4 small children or any details of her life, parents, work etc. This took several weeks to recover, but it eventually came back.

Through the summer the pain she has suffered from the treatment has been immense, the doctors encouraged her to be admitted for sedation but she refused, she was certain that would be a one way ticket. Against all expectations she put up with it and fought her way through, we managed to get away for holidays on the coast with the kids and with heavy pain medication she was able to last the 110 days that the radioactive seeds would be active before absorption, taking us to the end of September.

In September they took her in for scans and to everyone's amazement the tumour had shrunk and was all but invisible. In October they called with results of blood tests which showed negative for cancer markers. Unfortunately, the good news only lasted 24 hours when they called again to caution that blood tests are are notorious for false negatives and that they needed to double check with a scan. Sadly, the scan showed that the tumour was still there. 

As it stands now, we are waiting for another scan by the end of this week (should have been last week but the machine broke!) to confirm whether the tumour shown in the previous  scan is still the original tumour in retreat or is a regrowth. If its a regrowth, we are warned, we are out of any further options.

In the meantime the toll the treatment has taken on her is evident. Her kidneys are suffering from the medication, her gall bladder is giving up, she has developed a hernia, multiple thromboses and her blood pressure is all over the place, her veins hurt all the time and the headaches are now uncontrollable through any of the available medications - but still she performs duties as a civil guard, Tough as nails.

The hardest part is the waiting. The clinical trials team have progressively shrunk into the background as it seems her survival of their treatment has screwed their statistics. The oncologists and neurologists are out of ideas to control the pain, treat the tumour or provide a prognosis as they appear to find themselves in uncharted territory. So we wait and we hope.

My question, if you've got this far, is have any of you heard of brachytherapy being used to treat glioblastoma? I have obviously googled the heck out of it but haven't come up with much.

Also, how do you cope with the uncertainty? How do you communicate this to kids? - their father is not on the scene and she has no extended family at all, so I am pretty alone and scared and can't help wondering if there is more I could be doing to help.

Anyhow. Thanks for listening and my very best wishes to all of you going through this

• Welcome to the group and glad you found us. Thanks for sharing your story which makes for quite a read. 

Did they say there could be a link between the injury and the tumour? It seems such a coincidence that the two occurred together.

As regards the brachytherapy then I've not heard of it being used. I checked on a page that lists some of the latest treatments and it wasn't there but clearly has been used elsewhere from this meta analysis which you'll have already seen from your searching The role of brachytherapy in the treatment of glioblastoma multiforme - PubMed (nih.gov)

I think you're already doing the main thing which is supporting her and the kids as much as possible. My boys were 14 and 12 when my wife was diagnosed and I told them pretty much everything. I think it's much trickier when the children are younger. There's a page here on talking to children and teenagers about cancer Talking to children and teenagers | Macmillan Cancer Support and another one here specifically about terminal cancer: Preparing a child for loss | Macmillan Cancer Support

The uncertainty has never gone away for us. Even when you get a good scan you're just waiting for this thing to come back. Every worsening symptom has you thinking "Is this it?". My wife has a scan this Sunday and has been sleeping so much recently I can't help feeling it might be bad news. Have they talked about doing another MRI for your partner? We get them very 3-4 months. 

Don't forget to look after yourself. Do either of you have close friends who can help with the kids at all? Even just for a few hours so you can get out for a walk and recharge a little.

If you feel the need to talk then Macmillan can be contacted on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm (GMT).

All the best and stay in touch with the group. You're not on your own. There's quite a few of us and we all have varied experiences so do continue to ask questions or just vent how you're feeling.

Chris

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Chris for the kind reply and links, I will take a look at those!

I agree with you that the link between the previous injury and the development of GBM in the same place looks like too much bad luck to be a coincidence, but nobody in the medical field has suggested that they could be linked. I guess we will never know..

I do hope your wife's scan on Sunday goes as well as can be expected. I know I always latch on to worrying signs right before a scan and end up expecting the worst. I guess its better that way and any good news will feel all the better.

In our case she has stopped wanting to eat for the past 3 days and is barely able to sleep at all. I'm hoping that's just anxiety about the scan on Friday but worried that at this rate everything will pack-in before the gbm gets her. She's had a few bouts of numbness and weakness on one side lately but they have so far gone away over the course of the day. I guess we all get very alert to any possible signs of worsening health.

On help with the kids, we are living in a town very remote from friends, family is a dead loss and mine is all back in the UK so trying to shoulder it myself as much as possible. My main difficulty is that the medical staff have given no idea of what to expect and until they do it seems wrong to force what will be very difficult conversations regarding the kids. I think she is still pretty much in denial, or at least wielding a very determined will to live. I do a lot of reading around the subject and can't find anything that points to a happy ending but she is refusing to let it shape her life which makes talking about the likely outcome very difficult.

I'm hoping for some more clarity from the scans to help guide this discussion and I feel incredibly guilty about that as it sounds like I'm hoping for bad news, which couldn't be further from the truth. Its just the uncertainty and hope that's so hard to deal with when all you read tells you there is no good outcome from this.

all the best