Hello I’m new here

• 4 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Hello all,not sure how I’ve found my way here but I’m grateful that I have.My only brother was diagnosed with glioblastoma back in April.He was living alone in New Zealand,had surgery there but decided to come home for treatment and support.He was given a year maximum so his 2 eldest sons went over to bring him home.They have a traumatic history but have stepped up for their Dad.
He and I were estranged for 21 years but reconnected just before the pandemic.He arrived at the beginning of June and had radiation/chemo within a week.It was decided that he would stay with me,even though I only have one bedroom.At first we coped well but his sons who live locally just cooled off and not only offered no support but became abusive toward me.We have always been close so this has been very painful.I burnt out and my Bro had some respite care which he hated.He’s battled with alcoholism which complicates everything.He is now living with his eldest newly wed son.They have made life very difficult for me indeed.They allow my Bro to drink and go against all medical advice.Palliative care team are aware but as long as he has capacity there’s little they can do.How do I accept that my Bro wants to be irresponsible about his life?I nursed our Mum who he was never reconciled with 5 years ago.She died in just 20 weeks of stomach cancer.I know I’m still grieving her and my Bro has filled a void but I am obsessed with his welfare.Meanwhile I am going downhill mentally and physically.I feel so selfish writing about myself when he is dying.Thanks for listening xXx

• Hi Oreo and welcome to the group. I care for my wife who has a GBM and we're now 15 months in. Thankfully she was able to have surgery and treatment so I guess she was "lucky" but we know that it will return sooner or later.

Gosh, it sounds like there's a lot going on in his situation without having a brain tumour to worry about as well. How is he physically and mentally? My wife has been impacted quite badly so managing day to day tasks can be difficult but I wasn't sure how self-sufficient your brother is?

Below is some text that I send to all newcomers to the group but in your case I would really encourage you to give Macmillan a call. They may have some advice on how best to handle the drinking. Is he still on treatment e.g. chemotherapy? Even if alcohol doesn't interfere with the drugs then I can't imagine how bad he's going to feel if he combines any treatment with heavy drinking. Having had to try and stop two close family members from drinking themselves to death it's a really tough one when trying to persuade someone who's got terminal cancer.

They may also have some advice and support for you. It sounds like he might well need you to support him so it's really important you look  after yourself as well.

As I say, below are some links that may help you. And lastly please don't feel selfish for writing about yourself. If you were selfish you wouldn't care which you clearly do. 

Sending a virtual hug,

Chris

There's lots of really useful information on the Macmillan site about different aspects of cancer so if you haven't already have a good browse and come back with any questions. I found it really helpful just reading through the threads in this group to see what others' experiences had been like. Although we are all looking after someone with, or suffer from, a GBM we all end up taking slightly different routes depending on how it progresses and local care provision.

When it comes to the practical and emotional challenges of supporting family and friends you may also benefit from joining our Carers only support group where you will connect with others navigating the same support challenges.

It’s always good to talk so please remember you can call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing. Or it may be as is the case for me that there are other local charities that can support you.

Hope some of this is useful and please do use this group to ask questions or just vent how you're feeling.

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you so much Chris for your speedy response to my first post and the warm welcome to the group.I’m really sorry to hear about your wife and the impact it has had on your lives.I thought I knew cancer but brain tumours are another level aren’t they?Thats the beauty of this group really isn’t it-a unique but shared experience……I’m going to refer to my Bro as T.He completed his radiotherapy which was the main focus and one round of oral chemo.He is also on insulin as the steroids sent his diabetes off the scale.The steroids in turn are destroying his bones so he has to be weaned down.It has been decided that he is too “vulnerable” for any further chemo at present.He managed to stay sober while living with me for 10 weeks during treatment.To me the tumour is almost dementia like.T should be supervised 24/7 and he has done some pretty dangerous stuff.Now he is with the newly weds all that is brushed under the carpet.I was grateful to them initially.They live very well and T has his own room/en suite there.Plus they have only just got married so I respected their decision to take T in.Coming back to me wasn’t even considered by the boys.I realise I need to focus on sorting myself out and the links are going to help me try to do that.Thank you for including them.I love my big Brother and I have no right to expect him to have a good attitude about what’s happening to him.I just want us to be able to spend what time he has left in relative peace.We have suffered on that score alone enough.Once again thank you so much.Thinking of everyone going through heartache at the moment.My respect always OB

• Hi OB 

I’m glad you found this forum, this journey is tough enough without everything else you seem to have on your plate. 

I completely resonate with what you say about wanting to enjoy the time you have left with your brother. I desperately hope you do get to spend some quality time together. My dad (62) also has dementia like symptoms as part of his GBM and it makes spending quality time really tough and quite sad. He was diagnosed back in January and I think I’ve come to terms now with this, but it still hurts to know I’ll never have my dad back truly. 

My dad is also an alcoholic, and my mum especially would get upset and cross when he would manage to walk to the local shop and drink in secret. This has dwindled as the months have gone on due to fatigue/no appetite/no way of getting the alcohol… and now it’s not quite so bad. Sometimes we even think… why not… if this is what is keeping him from being totally depressed with this awful illness.. who are we to stop him. I absolutely understand the stress and frustration that comes from the drinking though. Maybe your brother will also ease up on the drinking over time like my dad has.

I’m not sure if any of this will have helped you but I hope you feel less alone. 

xxxx 

• Hi there,thank you so much for your reply to my message and for sharing your experience.Really sorry to hear about your Dad and what your family has been going through. My Bro is about 70% still my Bro if that make sense but his short term memory has gone and he does some really random things.He’s 66 and his body condition has really deteriorated.We were at physio today so he’s trying on that score and he was good company.We laugh a lot for which I am truly thankful for.I’ve tried reverse psychology over last few days and like you mentioned he is self regulating with the beer.His quality of life is so much better than it was when alone in NZ even before the tumour.His neighbour from over there told me he always told her “my Sister is the only person who’s loved me how I’ve wanted to be loved”.Bless him.I’m learning to enjoy moments,as that’s all they are now when all seems well and we can just be Brother&Sister.I’ve detached myself from the family politics and power struggles as much as possible.I sat today in the same hospital,in the same department,at the same time of year as I did with My Mum a few years ago.Triggers take my breath away but today was about T and he did well.I am thinking of you and your situation and I wish you continued strength&courage.Let’s keep on touch here.Wishing you a peaceful night OB