Hi I’m new

• 2 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Hi there,

My mum was a very fit and healthy 78 year old when she was diagnosed with stage 4 glioblastoma. She had radio and chemo therapy. Her most recent scan after 6 months of treatment was good. We thought we had some time to relax and enjoy life without holding our breath. 

At the weekend the first time she’s visited us since it happened she had two seizures which have knocked us sideways. I’m terrified for the future but need to focus on the here now and remain hopeful.  

She’d still like to remain as independent as possible at home so can you please share with me any tips on what to get in place, as she lives on her own and has done for 20 years. Pendant monitor will be the first thing we sort. thanks all. 

• Hi Mrs P, welcome to the group and I'm really sorry to hear about your mum.

I care for my my wife who has a GBM and we're 15 months in. Thankfully she was able to have surgery and treatment so I guess she was "lucky" but we know that it will return sooner or later.

I'm going to write down below all the info I usually give people new to the forum but as you asked a specific question about managing independently we gathered together a handy list of equipment that might be useful a little while ago. It's here: A handy equipment list... - Macmillan Online Community

There's lots of really useful information on the Macmillan site about different aspects of cancer so if you haven't already have a good browse and come back with any questions. I found it really helpful just reading through the threads in this forum to see what others' experiences had been like. Although we are all looking after someone with, or suffer from, a GBM we all end up taking slightly different routes depending on how it progresses and local care provision.

When it comes to the practical and emotional challenges of supporting family and friends you may also benefit from joining our Carers only support group where you will connect with others navigating the same support challenges.

Have you or your mum been offered any counselling at all? Either way it’s always good to talk so please remember you can call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing. Or it may be as is the case for me that there are other local charities that can support you.

Hope some of this is useful and please do use this group to ask questions or just vent how you're feeling.

Sending a virtual hug,

Chris

Community Champion Badge

1. Thank you so much. I wasn’t sure where to turn and this is so helpful.