Last moments/words?

• 6 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I genuinely cant think of anything except for things he might want to hear such as ‘you won’t be forgotten and it’s okay if you need to leave us’ although tbh I don’t think I’d really be able to get anything out of my mouth without bursting into tears. 

i don’t feel like there’s anything left unsaid but for some reason this makes me feel guilty?

Am I just overthinking things? I feel like there’s this pressure of ‘final words’ but I just don’t feel like there’s anything unsaid, would be grateful to hear anyone else’s thoughts 

• HI Mellie

so sorry to hear that your dad's reaching that part of the GBM journey. Life's too cruel.

There's no pressure of "final words". Telling your dad you love him are probably the most important ones to say and you've said them. Tomorrow isn't promised to any of us so please don't beat yourself up here. You've spoken from the heart and that's what matters.

I'm supporting my husband through his GBM journey. We're almost 4 months into the palliative care phase. The impact of his tumour has left him with communication difficulties. I know in my heart that there are conversations we should have had but c'est la vie. They'll remain unspoken most likely. 

I'm trying not to overthink the final phase of this gruelling emotional journey. As long as he knows he's loved that's enough.

Sending you all love and light and hugs. Stay strong.

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you so much. You are right, it’s definitely not promised to any of us. Yes, my dad speech has really declined, it’s very hard to understand the few words he says and some of the time I think that talking is using a lot of energy that he doesn’t have. 

thank you again, this has brought me a lot of peace x

• hiya Mellie . I feel your pain. I am in the same  situation as you. My dad is currently in a care home,  and is almost  at the end of his life. . He was diagnosed with  glioblastoma  back in January Its heartbreaking Broken heart  seeing him like it. He can no longer speak.  He is hardly eating and drinking . He.knows you are there, as we ask him to squeeze our hand, if he can hear us. . He is.so young at the age of 69.  Was a fit Intelligent man . He would. Be mortified if he knew I had cancer  now .  Heartbreaking Broken heart
  • Just being together is all you can ask for and you are there. I think just the physical presence is a massive support that our sick partners feel. My husband died of glioblastoma at 65 and my father recently at nearly 88. It was a huge shock but actually their double pack gave me strength.  So for me I coped better with the terrible loss of Dad as it was natural due to old age. He really stepped up when he knew my husband was dying at a young age.   It's so difficult but sending you love and strength. Your lasting memories will be of them young and strong. Later we will delete this sick bit. Hx

• Aww thankyou  for your support..it's very hard at the moments Sparkling heart  I .am finding it very hard to deal.with and cope. With ne recently been diagnosed with bladder cancer.. my dad the way he is, and  watching my mom Keep  breaking down. 2023 is so far the worst yeaBroken heartever .. aww just hope i can gain my strength.   Just heartbreakingBroken heart sending. Love Heart️ 

• Hey Jayne, oh I’m so sorry to hear about your situation. I’m not familiar with bladder cancer and how it manifests, how are you in yourself atm? I had the same thing with my mum breaking down, we worried about her a lot but my dad passed 2 weeks ago tomorrow and she’s coping way better than anticipated. I suppose that’s the thing with an illness like this is that you grieve so much while they’re still alive. Also, we get through it just because we will, even if we don’t know how. 
    im not sure if this is the right thing to say but you know what, it’s okay if you don’t have any strength and it’s okay if what you’re doing is all you can do Two hearts