What’s next?

• 8 replies
  • 24 subscribers

My lovely mum has been recently diagnosed with stage 4 brain cancer. She has had surgery to remove as much of the tumour as possible and is now having 6 weeks of radiotherapy and chemotherapy (TMZ). I can’t help but think about what’s next.. from reading some posts on here it sounds like she will take a short break from treatment and will then be offered further chemotherapy? Is anyone able to shed some light on how long this chemotherapy will run for? Or is it just a case of reviewing her scans and understanding when they will offer no further treatment? It’s such a scary thought that it will come to this! 

Any experiences shared would be very helpful for me right now.. what a scary rollercoaster we are all on!

Sending love to you all x 

• Hi there,

Welcome to the group, I'm glad you found us. So sorry to hear about your mum. It's a lot to get your head around with the shock of it all.

It's good that she's had surgery and is obviously seen to be fit enough for the 6 weeks of radio and chemotherapy. You're right that standard protocol would then be 6 cycles of TMZ over 6 months with 5 days on and 23 days off in each cycle. This will depend on how she gets on with treatment up to that point. Generally I would say that most people tolerate TMZ fairly well though it does cause a lot of fatigue.

My wife finished the 6 cycles in April and is now in a treatment break. She has 3 monthly MRIs and when the tumour starts getting going again they'll decide whether further treatment is possible. 

It sounds like you're already doing what I advise most newcomers to do which is read back through some of the threads in here to get an idea of what might come. Although we are all looking after someone with, or suffer from, a GBM we all end up taking slightly different routes depending on how it progresses and local care provision.

Have you or your mum been offered any counselling at all? Either way it’s always good to talk so please remember you can call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing. Or it may be as is the case for me that there are other local charities that can support you.

Wishing you and your mum the best and sending a virtual hug,

Chris

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Chris

I’m so sorry to hear about your wife. It sounds like she has done really well with her treatment so far, and clearly with lots of support from you too! Sending love and wishing you both the very best. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. It’s so nice to speak to people who understand exactly what you’re going through. 

We haven’t been offered any counselling yet but I will definitely check out whats available - thank you. 

My mum really struggled to get out of bed for the first couple of weeks after her diagnosis, but she has since been doing great! She is in great spirits and wanting to get out and about a lot which is so nice to see. She doesn’t talk about her prognosis and asks doctors to speak to us without her present. I’ve come to terms with the fact that this is her way of dealing with things, and it sounds like this is completely normal and ok.. I do however worry about how we communicate with her when we do reach that dreaded point of no further treatment and palliative care.. there are so many worries about what is still to come. 

Sending love x 

• My wife is very similar with the positive thinking to the point of naivety. I've learnt to just go along with it so we talk about what we'll do when she's not so muddled and her mobility is back. I think deep down she knows that's not going to happen but just can't face that grim reality. I don't think that shows any lack of courage in fact quite the opposite that she's willing to stare down any adversity as if it's nothing.

One thing I would say that we did was to sort all the practical things out when she was first diagnosed. So things like wills, powers of attorney. finances and just anything she would want to happen if she becomes very unwell or after she's gone. Once that was out of the way then I could just let her put her head back in the sand.

Chris x

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Justlooking, sorry you're here but welcome! You'll find this is a really supportive group so feel free to ask away as and when questions come.

Like Branoc, my wife was diagnosed with GBM last year. She's doing well and just starting her 5th cycle of chemo next week. We live in two parallel universes - the universe where everything's fine and we're cheerily talking about a holiday for 10 years time, and the universe where we brace the children for possible poor news. It's a life of compartments...

Branoc has given really good advice about reading through threads on here. I've found it so helpful, and also inspiring with the posts of longer term survivors. It's strange how quickly the shock of the original diagnosis fades to acceptance of a new normal.

Good luck and keep us posted. One thing that's really important (and everyone here will tell you) is to take time for yourself and look after yourself. Let others take the strain as well as yourself. It's a long haul and can be exhausting, and you need your energy and positive spirit to keep up.

Hugs

• That’s great that your wife was able to sort out the practical things after being diagnosed. I really can’t imagine how our loved ones feel and what is going through their mind. 

I must admit that I was hesitant to put a post out on here but I’m so glad I did. Thank you for sharing your experience and journey so far - it really helps. 

Sending love x 

• Hi HW66

I’m truly sorry to hear about your Wife, I hope you and your family are doing as well as can be.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I mentioned in my previous response to Branoc that I was hesitant to post on here for a while but I’m so glad I did. Although none of us want to be here, it really does help to share and hear others journeys.

I can really relate to you when you say you live in two universes! I feel exactly the same. And you’re right it is so strange how you adapt so quickly to this new normal, that you would never have imagined a few weeks/months/years prior.

I must admit I need to take more time for me. I feel so guilty being anywhere other that at my mums, but I really do understand how important it is. I hope you are making time for you too, and looking after yourself. 

Take care x 

• Hi Justlooking

a warm welcome to the group. I'm so sorry to hear abut your mum's diagnosis. Life's too cruel.

I'm supporting my husband through his GBM journey as you've maybe read in other posts. He declined all further treatment after the initial 6 weeks of treatment in Jan 2021. It was offered again in Nov 2022 when there were signs of fresh tumour growth but again he declined. It's a decision I've had to respect.

Like your mum, G won't talk about his diagnosis very much. He says that's negative and he's not interested in negativity. That's true up to a point so perhaps it would be an idea to broach the subject of getting a power of attorney put in place sooner rather than later or get your mum's consent for the medical team to talk to you just in case a day comes when she can't make the decisions for herself. I've had many challenging experiences over the past almost 3 years because G tried to exclude me from appointments but was then unable to communicate pertinent information about medication etc afterwards due to the communication issues his tumour caused. Just a thought for the right moment...

As you've already seen this is a safe and supportive space so please reach out here anytime. There's always someone about to listen who gets it, someone to hold your hand and to offer that virtual hug when its needed. You're not alone. We've got you.

Chris has already covered off pretty much all I would normally say but I would add please ensure that you are taking care of yourself here too. This is a gruelling emotional rollercoaster ride and taking a little "me time" isn't selfish, it's essential to help you keep your own wee batteries charged. So go to the gym go for that walk, go for that coffee catch up with friends, sit and read your book for a while - do whatever it is that you enjoy and that supports your own wellbeing. I don't mind admitting that after almost 3 years of riding this rollercoaster I am exhausted - mentally, physically and emotionally, 

For now though I'm sending you a huge virtual hug and lots of positive energy. Stay strong. You're coping so much better here than you give yourself credit for. (You'll just need to trust me on that.)

love n hugs

Wee Me xxx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Wee Me 

Im sorry to hear about your husband, and of course the emotional strain this journey has had on you too. It sounds like you are doing an amazing job at supporting your husband. It really isn’t easy!! 

Thank you for the advice and for sharing your experience. It really does help to know that there is so much support out there. We are all in this together. 

Sending love x