hi im new

• 4 replies
  • 22 subscribers

we found out my husband diagnosed 28 2 22 he doing good atm they removed most and had most treament last scan was good but saying treament did something to blood vessel going into his brain got to have scan then maybe operation as this happened to anyone eise

• Hi Kate,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear your news. I care for my my wife who has a GBM and we're 10 months in. Thankfully she was able to have surgery and treatment so I guess she was "lucky" but we know that it will return sooner or later.

Her surgery went well, she did have a small thrombosis (blood clot) that they had to monitor but in the end it went away on it's own without causing problems.

There's lots of really useful information on the Macmillan site about different aspects of cancer so if you haven't already have a good browse and come back with any questions. I found it really helpful just reading through the threads in this forum to see what others' experiences had been like. Although we are all looking after someone with, or suffer from, a GBM we all end up taking slightly different routes depending on how it progresses and local care provision.

When it comes to the practical and emotional challenges of supporting family and friends you may also benefit from joining our Carers only support group where you will connect with others navigating the same support challenges.

Have you or your husband been offered any counselling at all? Either way it’s always good to talk so please remember you can call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as they can provide lots of support for you. Or it may be as is the case for me that there are other local charities that can support you.

All the best and just come back here with questions like this any time.

Chris

Community Champion Badge

• thank you will have a look

• Hi  

a warm welcome to the group. So sorry to hear about all that your husband and you are going through.

I'm supporting my husband through his  GBM4 journey. he was first diagnosed in Sept 2020, had surgery and then 6 weeks of oral chemo/radiotherapy. A few weeks after surgery he developed issues with blood clots that we were initially told were all in his lungs. It was only partly by chance that we discovered there was also one on the surface of the brain partly blocking the junction of two major veins. He was prescribed blood thinners to dissolve it plus the ones in his lungs. The brain one took a long time to go but did eventually.

We're further along this rollercoaster ride than Chris but I would echo everything he's said. Please check out the links. This is a safe and supportive space so please reach out here anytime. I've personally drawn a lot of support from this community over the past couple of years and more. There's always someone about who gets it, someone to listen, to hold your hand and to offer that virtual hug when its needed. You're not alone.

I don't mean to scare you but this is a gruelling emotional rollercoaster ride so please make sure you take time to take care of yourself too here. It's only now, more than two and half years in that I'm recognising just how much its drained from me. Taking time for yourself isn't selfish. It's essential to help you keep your batteries charged. Even a few minutes with a coffee and a book or a walk round the block can make a huge difference.

for now though I'm sending you a huge virtual hug and lots of positive energy. Stay strong.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• thank you glad iv found this group